Grutter’s attempt at Admittance

By: David Durante

www.google.com

Every student should have an equal chance and a fair chance to receive admission to a college.
In the case of Grutter versus Bollinger, in 2003, a white student who resided in Michigan applied to a local law school: University of Michigan Law School. Grutter was denied acceptance to college, with a 3.8 gpa and high LSAT score (160), but because they have a policy of letting a some students of minorities based on religion and race have a spot in admissions, from Oyez “Grutter v. Bollinger,”.
This student was not allowed into a University due to the fact that they wanted to keep spots open for students with different backgrounds, from New York Times “10 Supreme Court Cases every teen should know,” by Tom Jacobs. She lived in the same state, meaning the school should have probably put that into consideration also. Due to this policy, what if the minority reserved spaces are not eventually filled? Will they still be denying honest students with a fair chance of admittance?
It can be seen that there can be an issue with not having enough wide spread diversity in a school, and being seen as a place who is against or not supportive of diversity.
People will apply to where they want to go, and it is great that specific admission spots are in hopes for students that part of minorities, but they should not have to hold back other students. The idea is definitely there, because I also agree that every student should have a fair chance of admittance to a college or university.