Wrapping up the 2017-2018 Wrestling Season

Making it to states and potentially more, the Wrestling team is doing amazing!

Meri Fullford, Staff Writer

Starting off the season, it was already apparent that the team was a young team.  After last season, we lost only three seniors. The 2017-2018 season for the Triton Wrestling team has been a major success so far. Winning CAL champs and having a 19-3 record is a major achievement for our wrestlers. A mix of hard work, dedication and talent has gotten us this far.

Wrestling is an amazingly difficult sport that uses hardwork and dedication. All of our amazing triton wrestlers worked very hard this season, and represent the Triton Wrestling program well. The senior captains, Jared Durkin, Steve Particelli and Brandon Eppa, all work very hard to keep our team in shape and ready for the meets.

The upcoming meets are very crucial to the 2018 season.Now we are moving on to All-States after two of our star wrestlers placed in states last Friday, the team competed in the State tournament at Wakefield High School and performed excellently. Josh Stevens, Sam Orender, Jared Durkin, Ethan Tremblay, and Anthony Ostrander competed.

Jared Durkin and Anthony Ostrander made it to the finals, and both pinned in the semi finals. Anthony Ostrander is only a sophomore and has had more career wins than some seniors.

“I work hard in practice and it really pays off. You can’t slack off, every practice counts and I just knew I wanted to be a state champ, and worked for it. It payed off and it feels really good to know I can be a state champ.”, said Ostrander.

His hard work in and out of the season shows. During the off season, Ostrander goes to Smitty’s Wrestling barn to stay in shape and ready for the season. That extra effort shows in his wrestling seasons.

Another wrestler who won the state championship is senior captain Jared Durkin. Along with Ostrander, Jared also has 100 wins and is known to be the wrestler to beat.

“You just got to want it, don’t slack off and make goals for your season. I knew I wanted to be a state champ and I am, my hard work paid off and it feels great”, said Durkin.

Him being a captain also contributed to the success as the team as a whole.

“In practices, Steve, Brandon and I never let anyone slack off. We knew that we had the potential to go all the way, and everyone had to work together to get us this far. I’m extremely proud of what we have accomplished”, Durkin also said.

Steve Particelli also had high hopes for his team and he’s extremely proud.

“I’m very happy and proud of what we did this year, coming into the year no one really expected us to be as good as we were, winning the CAL just showed how much hard work we all put in.”, said Particelli.

He couldn’t have been prouder of his team, being a senior and a captain. Two of his wrestlers made it to states and he couldn’t be happier for them.

“Seeing durk and oz win state titles was also really cool because we all saw how much work they’ve put in not only this year but for all of high school to get to that point so it was really cool to see it all come together for them.”, Particelli also added.

Overall, this season has been more than what everyone expected. Having a young team, with little experience, this team worked the hardest they could and it paid off. We wish Jared Durkin and Anthony Ostrander luck as they head off to All-States at St. John’s Prep.