Swampscott Principal Comes Out as Transgender

Principal Shannon Daniels (Globe Photo)

Principal Shannon Daniels (Globe Photo)

Mitchell Wolpert, Staff Writer

On Tuesday February sixth, principal of Stanley Elementary School in Swampscott publicly came out as transgender. This brave move has brought an immense outpouring of support from all over.

In recent years many professionals have broken through the barriers and come out to their colleagues and the world. Among these are many government officials. “We have seven openly gay members of Congress right now, six in the House and one in the Senate and another transgender woman was just elected into the state House of Delegates in Virginia,” said School Nurse and former GSA leader Mary Goldsmith, RN.

These professionals are not only being accepted in their fields, but they’re being celebrated for their honesty and bravery. Many voters see the transparency with their sexuality and gender identity as refreshing.

Since coming out recently, Principal Daniels has received an array of different reactions ranging from full support to outright anger. Many students, teachers, and parents from the community have expressed their support for the transgender principal, including Superintendent Pamela Angelakis who told the Boston Globe, “I hope you will join me and the entire district leadership team in offering Principal Daniels our acceptance, understanding, and support.”

Others in the community have not been so accepting. One parent publically explained his frustration with the timing of Principal Daniels’ announcement, saying, “I didn’t have my story straight because I had a matter of hours. Is he going to be wearing a dress? Do I have to deal with this? Can you give me a little bit of time?” (Boston Globe)

The Triton community on the other hand, has shown their full support for Daniels and all members of the LGBTQ+ community.

“I think it’s a courageous and very important decision,” said Triton senior Emily Tucker on the topic.

Beliefs such as these are for from obscure at Triton, nearly all students are accepting and supportive. Additionally parents of Triton students, like Martha Tatro have expressed their support for the community saying “the bravery of people in the community is so amazing and much greater than that of everyone else.”

Sources

Ebbert, Stephanie. “In Swampscott, Parents Grapple with Transgender Issues.” Boston Globe, 18 Feb. 2018, www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/02/17/swampscott-parents-grapple-with-transgender-issues/sJm8OeMxqf0UpxML8q1Q0I/story.html.

Wilson, Jim. “’I Am Transgender,’ Swampscott Elementary School Principal Announces – The Boston Globe.” BostonGlobe.com, 7 Feb. 2018, www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/02/07/transgender-swampscott-elementary-school-principal-announces/TEolg8zr7MGRnOhDVAyjdK/story.html.