Triton Earns Spot on AP Honor Roll for 3rd Year

2017 AP Exams Score Distribution (Wolpert image)

Mitchell Wolpert, Staff Writer

Triton High School made its third appearance on the AP Honor Roll, an elite list of schools from all over North America that have scored exceptionally well on their AP tests in recent years.

Triton was one of 447 overall schools to receive this recognition, 25 of which are in Massachusetts.

“It’s really great to know that Triton students are performing well against other schools all over,” said senior Abby Confalone, who has taken three AP course in high school.

This is the eighth year College Board has awarded schools with honor roll status. Out of those eight years Triton has made the cut on three separate occasions, for the first time in 2014, then again in 2015, and now finally in 2018. To achieve AP Honor Roll status a school must demonstrate an increase in enrollment as well as in passing scores (3 or higher).

The amount of minority students enrolled in AP classes and performing well in them also plays a large role in which schools make the list. Considering Triton is not very diverse, the scores required to put us on this list are much higher, meaning as a school we performed extremely well on AP Exams in recent years.

Out of a randomly selected group of 8 AP students from Triton the average score was a 3.625, putting them far above the overall average score and well into AP Honor Roll status. Out of the students surveyed, each took an average of 2 AP classes in the 2016-2017 school year and 87.5% are female.

“There should be way more boys enrolled in AP classes,” said AP student Jonah Davis, “the problem isn’t that they’re incapable, but that they just aren’t trying hard enough.”