Will extending quarter decrease stress?

Shannon Lanphear, Erin Drew, Staff Writer's

Triton has already had four snow days now and how many more will there be? New England weather is unpredictable, so we need to prepare for the worst and hope for the best as we head into the third and fourth quarters. One major problem because of the number of snow days is that students have less time to prepare for midterms and other makeup work.

The principal’s office is considering extending both third and fourth quarter. Instead of doing what we did last year, which was having the fourth quarter extended and ending up being longer than the others.   

“If we go beyond that fifth day, and teachers and administration feel it would be in the best interest of student learning as well as to decrease some stress levels, we can certainly look at changing the end dates for the third and fourth quarter,” Kathryn Dawe said.

Students need time to get all of their work in and their grades up before the grades close and report cards are posted.

“It’s stressful coming back to school after a break and having work piled on you to finish  before the quarter closes. I think it’s a great idea to extend them and give the students more time to get done what they need to get done,” senior Marisa Soffron said.

According to Ms. Kathryn Dawe, we are almost at the end with the available snow days for the schedule.

“Let’s not have any more snow days and then we won’t have to think about it.  Seriously,

we have one more snow day available before we go beyond the five days alloted in the schedule,” Dawe said.

However long the quarters end dates would be extended all depends on the number of snow days we have had by that point.

“I would love for the quarters to be extended so that I have more time to get my grades up and finish make-up work,” said junior Caitlyn Chaisson