The school bus? More like the struggle bus!

The big yellow school bus with endless rows of seats. The squeaky noises it makes as it’s driven, and the irritating students that may come with it. But it’s free and gets you to school on time every day. The perspective on Triton’s transportation by students varies including all the pros and cons that come with it.

Senior Kara Hartman feels as if taking the bus when you’re old enough to have your license is intolerable. “When you’re an upperclassman in high school, you’re typically old enough to have the privilege to drive a car and go to-and-from school every day. I don’t have my license so I have to deal with taking the bus. I wish I could say I don’t mind it, but I don’t like taking it at all,” said Hartman.

Hartman believes after a certain age you eventually get too old for the bus. She states that as you get older you eventually outgrow it, mainly because it reminds students of memories of when they were little and would ride it.

“Typically you see children waiting for the bus or getting off the bus. Being in high school and still taking the bus is a lot different then when you’re little. I have to wake up earlier than most of the people in my grade now when I take the bus. I also can’t be independent when it comes to driving, and I can’t test myself being on time on my own either,” Hartman said.

When asked by Hartman why she’s unable to drive to school she claims that it’s because of her procrastination. “I keep pushing it off because my parents don’t think I’m ready yet to get my license, let alone be able to afford a car.”

Senior Jantina Nguyen can relate to Hartman because she doesn’t have a license as well. Nguyen absolutely refuses to take the bus. “I failed my road test, and have to go back but it’s been so hard to reschedule. But in the meantime, I try my hardest to have a friend bring me to school. I usually make the bus my last option,” said Nguyen.

When asked by the Triton Voice why the bus is on the bottom of her list for transportation, Nguyen explains that she cannot stand the obnoxious middle schoolers and that she goes to bed late and can’t wake up as early as six or maybe even earlier. “If it was possible, I would suggest for the school to have a high school bus and middle school bus. I would also try to make it so you could request to be the last stop so you could have more time to get ready,” Nguyen said.

Even though Nguyen normally resists this type of transportation she does think there are positive sides also. “You don’t have to pay for gas if you have a car, I’m sure students pay a good $20.00 or more for the week. It ensures you to get to school on time everyday when you have an issue with arriving on time,” Nguyen said.

Senior Joey Conte, who is grateful for his own car and is able to drive to school every day makes it clear that he has no interest in taking the bus again. “I just feel like once you drive a car to school it’s a big step. You will begin to  refuse the bus after that one time of driving to school. I personally would just so much rather take a car over a bus,” Conte said.

“It’s nothing against the bus, I just have a car now and only want to drive that.”

According to Triton students they have their likes and dislikes when it comes to school transportation. Although it has its good qualities and drawbacks, it is up to one’s person preference.