The Partridge Brook Fields

$8.5 Million to be Invested in the Town of Salisbury

Joshua Rolfe, Staff Writer

The Town of Salisbury recently started a $8.5 million project involving sports fields behind the Elementary School. The progress and actual purpose of these fields have seemed to be blocked out from the public as not many people know about the benefits that this amazing area will bring to our communities.
“I had absolutely no idea that they were putting sporting fields behind Salisbury Elementary. Which is weird seeing as I went there during my childhood, and I am a resident of Salisbury. I think they should really speed the process up because this could bring great things to the school and town of Salisbury,” said senior Julia Plummer.

1. School districts and towns are always competing for land where they can watch their kids play their favorite sports. Soccer, football, lacrosse, field hockey, ect. Salisbury chose the area behind the Elementary School, naming it The Partridge Brook Park. Yet,what is the parks progress? When will the kids of our neighborhoods and districts be able to play on these fields? And what will these fields look like, including layout and types of fields?
    According to James Montanari; the principal of SES, “students use the fields all the time…we had this year’s Williams Bowl on the new field.”
    The Williams Bowl is a flag football tournament held each year for the SES students. It is something that the students of Salisbury have to look forward to as it is a fun filled day with hot cocoa and games. Originated by Rick Williams, a retired gym teacher from SES, the event used to held on the school grounds right behind the school. Instead, this year, it was held on the new land.
    The fields were cleared this summer yet were filled with weeds and crabgrass after the real grass had grown in, creating an unfinished image when not in use, while discouraging some of the public from using them. But what people do not know is that the town of Salisbury is not anywhere near done with this project.
    A baseball field, football field, and many other multi purpose fields for all sports have already been planned.
    Planning for a street hockey and dog park been thought about and will be decided upon once a funding grant is hopefully passed in July according to Lisa Pearson, the Town Planner of Salisbury.
    Sean Mcinnis, the school athletic director, had strong views on the ne fields.
    “I think it’s a great thing for the community and not only the Salisbury community but the Triton community as well.”
    Lisa Pearson also explained why the town decided on the area behind the elementary school when there were other options available. “The parcels behind the elementary school were highlighted. Specifically because of the proximity to the elementary school and the rail trail. The rail trail construction from Mudnock Road to the Seabrook Road has been on the TIP (Transportation Improvement Plan) begins next fall.”
    The TIP is a whole different project of its own. It includes an extension of the rail trail while also incorporating Partridge Brook Park with it as well. The rail trail will split the park and the school with a walking trail extending all the way to the Gillis Bridge.
    The park is estimated to cost around $1.5 million which was made a reality when the town received a grant for $400,000. The trail project has been in the planning process for a number of years costing an expected 7 million dollars to complete.
    Now that the field is cleared and space has been made, Lisa Pearson is still unsure as to when the whole project will be done, including the Rail Trail as well. With construction of the concession stand and playground up next, and much more to come, Salisbury will finally have a massive recreational park for numerous activities for all the citizens of Salisbury.