Number Forty One

Nathaniel Schmuch, Staff Writer

George Pacenka is the scoutmaster for the Rowley Boy Scout troop. He has been the scoutmaster since before 1998 the year he gained his first of Forty One Eagle Scouts

The One legged man that has dedicated so much time to help boys be molded into men through the Boy Scouts of America. The scoutmaster of troop fifteen Rowley has been integral to the success of the troop.

Pacenka is very loved by his scouts and the community. His scouts look up to him because he has always been a great leader to them. Some of the scouts, such as James Kay, former Triton student and Eagle Scout, have great memories of him. Kay has repeatedly told the story of when he and a couple other scouts were tying another to a tree as a joke and he came over. Instead of telling them to stop horsing around, he told them they were doing it all wrong so he tied him to the tree correctly.

Pacenka has had troubles keeping up with the scouts over the years, but he has never let that stop him completely. An example of this was this summer was when the scouts of troop fifteen were starting to get upset with the meeting system in the troop senior Peter Censullo, recalls. The Scouts got together and came up with changes that they wanted to make. But instead of refusing to make changes like many his age would he agreed and went along with the changes because he wants to keep the troop advancing and he doesn’t want the troop to not become fun for the scouts anymore.

Four percent of scouts ever make the rank of Eagle Scout. Cities such as Haverhill and the sort hav around the same amount of Eagle Scouts as the small town of Rowley and some of that is very much thanks to Pacenka. He has worked with each Scout to see how they were doing and has tried to help each one even if they didn’t want to be helped.

Pacenka has worked very hard despite all the challenges of technology advancing, losing his leg, and scouts being very very hectic. He has worked through it and helped make scouts a great activity in the town of Rowley.