Erika Siemasko’s College Q&A

Erika Siemasko with her Auburn University ceramic tile that she made herself.

Emily Muzi, Staff Writer

Triton High School senior, Erika Siemasko is planning on attending college at one of her dream schools down south.
College is an exciting time. It’s a new beginning; a chance to start over. Students are able to transform into independent young adults and figure who they aspire to be. College provides opportunities. It’s about discovering what career path you want to go down and what you want to do with your life. You can travel the country or even the world, and find what people you belong with. Siemasko is certainly taking advantage of this opportunity to experience what life is like living in Alabama.

Where are you going to attend college and what are you studying?
“My top two schools are Auburn University and University of Alabama. My heart is set on Auburn, so if I don’t get in there, I will go to University of Alabama. I am going to be studying communications.”

What drew you to the South when looking for colleges?
“My best friend, Gwen Norton, is committed to the University to Alabama. When she came back from touring the southern area, she told me all about it. Her and I are, like, the same person, so I thought I would really like it too if she did. I was right, I ended up falling in love with it.”

Will being away from your family and friends be difficult for you?
“It’s going to be extremely hard to be so far from my family. My parents are my best friends, it’s gonna break my heart to be so far from them.”

That is one of the main reasons some students do not want to travel far from home for college. Even though Siemasko is extremely close with her family, she did not let that hold her back from her ambitions of furthering her education across the country.

Since you are so close with your family, did you consider local schools here in New England?
“I did not consider any local schools, I have my heart set on going far.”

Why do you want to go far for college?
“What made me want to go far is simply the opportunity to. If I can live in a complete different area for four years, I’m going to take it. I love traveling and exploring new areas.”

Will you come back for Thanksgiving, Christmas break, or spring break?
“I will only come home for Christmas and maybe spring break. I might try to save up enough money to come home for Thanksgiving to surprise my family.”

Do you know anybody that lives down South? Have you ever traveled down there before? Or is this going to be a completely new experience for you?
“I toured the colleges last summer and I fell in love with them. The “southern charm” is a real thing. My closest friends are sophomores in college and the majority of them live down south, and they love it.”