Concussions With Amy Clark

The Truth Behind The Effect Of Concussions

Alessandra Basile, Staff Writer

Athletes all over the world suffer from concussions every year. Every time a concussion is diagnosed it leaves an effect on the brain that doesn’t go away. Concussions are a type of traumatic brain injury that can be caused by a bump to the head. Concussions cause the brain to move viciously back-and-forth. The more repeatedly a person has a concussion chemicals and cells can change brain which may affect solving problems, and mood.

A junior here at Triton, Amy Clark has recently been out because of a concussion she received in a soccer game. Here are some questions that The Triton Voice asked her about how she has been dealing with this traumatic incident. The Triton Voice also interviewed Elisabeth Lindholm who also has a concussion from soccer as well.

Q: How has this impacted you as a student?

A: “ I have many restrictions from the doctors that don’t allow me to do certain things I would normally do. I’m only allowed one test a day which makes it difficult to keep up with some classes. The tests I can be given have to meet the requirements given by the doctor since it’s harder for me to process and remember things” says Clark. Lindholm says, “ My doctors didn’t even let me take one test a day, they didn’t let me take any. Now that I can take tests it takes me longer and my scores are decreasing.”

Q: How tired do you get throughout the day?

A: “I’m often very tired from the concussion because it really drains me out. I don’t feel like myself and sometimes I have to make trips to the nurse to take a nap or go to a quiet dark place to relax for a few minutes ” Clark says. Lindholm says, “My headache gets worse throughout the day, but I go home and rest after the school day.”

Q: Have all your teachers cooperated with these rules from the doctor?

A: “I would say mostly yes. They sometimes get frustrated at the situation but they understand it’s out of my control” says Clark. Lindholm says, “I feel like I have to rush to get my work done, but other than that all the teachers cooperated.”

Q: How do your parents feel about this?

A: “They are upset about the situation because they feel bad for me. They have been very helpful and supportive of me. My mom drops whatever she’s doing to come get me if I’m not feeling well. This really helps with coping with the situation since I have the support from my family” says Clark. Lindholm agrees with Clark.

Q: Is this your first concussion?

A: “No this is actually my second within a year. I had my first one last year during soccer season when a ball was hit off a girl’s head and onto mine” says Clark. This is Lindholm’s first concussion.

Q: Does this cause you to be forgetful?

A: “Yes very. It’s hard to remember certain things even the simplest stuff. Sometimes someone will tell me something and a minute later I totally forget” says Clark. Lindholm says “I agree with Amy and even sometimes I’ll be speaking to someone and totally forget what I’m talking about in the middle of our conversation.”

Q: How long is your recovery?

A: “The doctor told me that this will take double the amount of recovery time it took for the first one. My last recovery was three months” says Clark. Lindholm says “So far my recovery has been two months but there’s no telling when it will end.”

Q: Can you still work?

A: “Not yet because I have to be able to stand for three hours which is very tough for me since I get so tired” says Clark. Lindholm says “I work at a cash register and I can’t process things quickly so it would be difficult with all the noise”

Q: Do you go to physical therapy?

A: “Yes this helps me learn how to better myself, and make the recovery period speed up” says Clark. Lindholm says, “I use to but not anymore.”