Who at Triton is a fan of boy bands?

Student and faculties opinions about boy bands.

Marlee Smith and Erika Siemasko, Staff Writers

Since the 1960’s, young girls are seen to be captivated by boy bands. No matter how old you are or where you come from, at one point in time your world revolved around a band of boys. From NSYNC to One Direction, these artists seem to catch the attention of teen girls. Girls are caught up in the good looks and voices of these teenage boys. But does everyone have a thing for boy bands?

Boy bands are known to go through phases, meaning they only last a few years or so. In 2016, many were devastated to learn that the boy band One Direction split up after a 5 year run. The Triton Voice, eager to discover students opinions on boy bands, interviewed students around the halls of Triton High.

Senior Evan McParland is certainly not a fan of boy bands.
“Boy bands? No way. They are all just a phase and completely overrated,” McParland shared.
Freshman Meaghan Riccio expressed her love for boy bands to The Triton Voice.
“I love boy bands! Just as long as they’re good looking and have good music,” Riccio shared.

But how exactly have boy bands become involved in so many people’s lives? These musical groups typically appear in fives. You have the popular heartthrob, the bad boy or rebel, the quiet one, the handsome one, and the funny one. And the best part about it? You get to choose which one you begin an obsession with! Plus, being a fan is too much fun. The thought of possibly meeting your celebrity crush is thrilling and moving. And going to their concerts must be sensational.

English teacher Ms. Dempsey has a (not so) secret love for boy bands. Specifically, a love for Justin Timberlake.
“So I actually have a secret love for Justin Timberlake, so I have always loved NSYNC. And actually, prior to their time, I was a big fan of NKOTB. So yes, I am definitely of the boy band bandwagon,” Dempsey shared.

One boy band that most girls of the 2000’s grew up loving were the Jonas Brothers. They starred on their own television show Jonas on Disney Channel as well as the films Camp Rock and Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam. A few of their hit songs include ‘Burnin’ Up,’ ‘SOS,’ ‘Year 3000,’ and so many more.

Senior Julia Cordeau shares her memories of the Jonas Brothers with The Triton Voice.
“I grew up obsessing over them! Camp Rock used to be my favorite movie as a kid. And the flashbacks still come when I listen to Nick Jonas today as a solo artist. I love his song ‘Jealous,’” Cordeau shared.

Who knew Tritonians would have such a love for boy bands?
Senior Erika Siemasko at a One Direction concert.(Siemasko photo).