More sleep! Later Days?

More sleep! Later days?

Boston public schools are getting a later start to the school day starting next year

Junior Onica Mooney is fed up at the way her school days start and end, “Personally I think having a later start here at Triton would benefit me as well as other students academically. Those few hours of extra sleep really makes a difference in how students go about their days.”

Beginning next year most schools in the Boston area will be starting at or after 8 a.m. allowing their students to get more sleep in efforts to benefit them academically.

As great as sleeping in may be, there are other factors that went into the Boston School Committee making this decision. When switching up high schooler’s schedules with activities, buses, transportation and more it is tough to change that for many people.  But, when studies show that most teenagers aren’t getting enough sleep and aren’t fully awake until around 8 a.m, a later start seems to be best for most students.

“Many sleep researchers, have blamed what they call an ‘epidemic’ of teenage sleep deprivation on high-school schedules, arguing they aren’t built around students’ internal clock,” according wbur.org.

As much as many people enjoy the idea of being able to sleep in just a bit longer, others would have to disagree at the thought of getting home later whether it be from school, sports or other activities. Triton students and staff shared their opinions on how they would feel if Triton were to eventually have a later start as well.

“Once the school year starts, most students are waking up early and have extra curricular activities after school which can get tiring very fast. On top of all of that there’s homework and work which occasionally can make it seem like there’s not enough time with all of this going on to get a good night sleep,” says Onica Mooney.

Triton teachers share different opinions on this topic as well, on whether they would like a later start here at Triton.

“I think that it’s better to just keep it the way that it has always been. The school, athletics and extracurricular systems are all geared towards this schedule. I think extracurricular activities are very important to high school students so by keeping it this way they’ll have the whole afternoon to do those activities,” says Brendan Stokes.

Ms. Scott has a different opinion on this topic and would have to disagree on a 7:30 start each morning benefiting students.  

“A later start would help a lot of students I think. Studies have shown that teenagers need more sleep which is why starting a little later could make a big difference. I remember in High School feeling like it was so early, and depending on where you live around here it’s usually an early morning. Teenagers go from the whole school day to after school activities and can be getting home late with homework that still needs to be done. Starting a little later, I think, could probably do everyone some good,” says Jennifer Scott.