The scoop on Triton’s half days

What half days at Triton are really like

Paige Zukowski, Staff Writer

• This year at Triton High School, more seniors are starting doing half days than the past years. If the students have enough credits, instead of taking extra courses or having three studies they just do half days of school.

Some of the students have jobs, so for the second half of the day they work to make more money.

Senior Garrett Savage who chose to do half days this year explained why, “I chose to do it because I only needed three credits to graduate, and I’d rather make money at work than take classes that I didn’t need to take.”

Jobs are a big reason students choose to do half days, but some also take college classes to prepare themselves for what they want to do in the future, and get a head start.

As senior Hannah Jean explains, “For the other half of the day I take a sociology class at Northern Essex Community College to begin working towards my future as a psychiatric nurse practitioner.”

Jean said that the half days are really helpful, “ Due to the fact that I am on my own time, which allows me to feel less confined, and I am much happier.”

More students seem to be interested in having half days this year, so The Triton Voice asked vice principal, Mr. Brennan and principal, Mr. Ruggere what the expectations are of the students to be able to do half days of school.

“I think it’s mostly based off of the individual person, and if they have enough credits to only do a half day,” Mr. Brennan said.
“For example, if you’re late you have to stay the whole day, so there are other guidelines you have to meet to be able to do half days, and I’m pretty sure there are only a few kids doing them.”

Considering there are only a few students who do half days, there are some downsides to them, and things you aren’t able to do.

Students who choose to do half days cannot participate in any school sports, because to be able to do a school sport you need to have four core classes, and the students doing half days only have three.

Also students, who plan on going to college, and who use their half days for things other than taking extra classes somewhere else, having less courses their senior year will show up on their transcript, and that could affect weather or not they get into the college they wish.  

Some students really enjoy half days, and others would rather stay at school taking extra courses that could help them get into college.

After talking to some of the students that do half days at Triton High School, The Triton Voice has discovered that it makes life easier for some of the students. Especially the ones who have jobs and are trying to make their own money, and also for the students who take the time getting a head start on what they want to do with their future.