Student Profile: Quentin Callewaert

A Triton musical prodigy speaks on his accomplishments

Student Profile: Quentin Callewaert

Jonathan Reilly, Staff Writer

Not many high school students have had the chance to release a musical EP, let alone do so at the age of 16. Quentin Callewaert is one of those talented few. Quentin is currently a junior at Triton and is very talented in the musical field. He has played at several small venues and has his own website that shows him playing acoustic and electric guitars at different live events. According to Callewaert, he started to play music at a very young age.

“I started to play the guitar during the summer before I turned 9,” said Callewaert.

He has also stated that he enjoys playing instruments more than he enjoys singing.

“I prefer playing instruments rather than singing mostly because I am not the best singer,” said Callewaert.

While he may not think of himself as a talented vocalist, many people have shared positive opinions of Callewaert’s vocal and instrumental abilities.

“I think Quentin is an extremely talented guy,” said TV Production and Choir teacher Robert Lathrop. “I’ve had the chance to see many of his live performances. He really knows how to grab people’s attention when he gets up on stage.”

Aside from performing live songs in front of an actual audience, Callewaert has also recorded covers of songs and put them together as a makeshift EP.

“I recorded a EP as promotional material to hand out,” said Callewaert. “So unfortunately it won’t be officially released. It’s a compilation of five covers of folk and blues songs. (from various artists)”

Callewaert has support from an array of people, including current teachers and friends.

“I’ve had him in my men’s choir since he started in the middle school,” said Lathrop. “I’ve watched him progress with each passing year, and I’ve seen his potential continue to shine and grow.”

Callewaert has even gotten praise from parents of other children. Steven Leonard, a parent of 2 Triton Students spoke of his experiences watching Quentin perform at the school.

“I’ve been to many school concerts and Quentin is definitely meant to be a musician,” said Leonard. “He should be very proud of himself.”

Callewaert also thinks that he is moving towards the right career path. He spoke about how he would not want to do anything else with his life.

“I’ll definitely pursue music as a career,” said Callewaert. “I can’t imagine myself doing anything else!”