Same or Identical

Twins are everywhere, even here at Triton High

Ivy Simms, Staff Writer

There are two types of twins identical and fraternal. The differences are outstanding.

Fraternal twins or “Dizygotic twins” are “developed when an egg splits into two and then, two different sperm fertilize the eggs,” stated newsmomsneed.marchoftimes.org. Fraternal twins are “more common and don’t normally look alike just as if they were brother and sister from different pregnancies,” newsmomsneed.marchoftimes.org.

Colin and Chris Brennan are Fraternal twins who go to Triton High School. They have different appearances and different views on life. There is superstition that many wonder about, that Colin and Chris reported their views on.

The question was, Do you feel or know when the other twin is upset or hurt? Colin said “no,” Chris on the other hand, said “I know Colin well enough to know when he’s upset but, not physical pain”.

The next question asked was, Do you believe because you are twins (fraternal) is the reason you succeeded in other areas that the other twin? Both twins, Colin and Chris were pretty straightforward, Colin said “yes,” while Chris said “makes sense to me.” This shows of how even though each of them may take the same courses and do the same activities one may succeed better than the other due to their genes not being identical.

The last question asked pertained more to identical twins,yet it still seems to sometimes remain true in some instances. The last question was, in some circumstances twins are mistaken for each other, causing relationship problems, whether in family, friends, or even spouse. Has this happened? Colin was straight forward saying “no,” Chris then, said, “when we were younger we get away with blaming the other for things that would happen and frequently even family members blaming us for things the other would do. Nah not now (does it happen).”

“Identical twins have the same genes, so they generally look alike and are the same sex,” according to newsmomsneed.marchoftimes.org. The Olivie twins Maggie, and Elizabeth, are the identical twins at Triton High school. When asked the same questions as the Brennan twins, they responded in some ways the same and others differently.

The first question asked, do you feel or know when the other twin is upset or hurt? Elizabeth said “no” while Maggie went into more elaboration on her view saying “ physically no, when i’m around her I can tell when she’s emotionally upset.”

The next question, do you believe because you are twins (fraternal) is the reason you succeeded in other areas that the other twin?  the both shared pretty much the same aspect on how they feel, Elizabeth said “ I don’t think it has to do with us being twins, I think it’s cause we think differently,” Maggie agreed saying “ I don’t think it’s because we’re twins.”

The last question between the Brennan twins being Fraternal played a significant factor to the different answers of the Olivie twins. The question was in some circumstances twins are mistaken for each other, causing relationship problems, whether in family, friends, or even spouse. Has this happened? Elizabeth said, “Yeah it happens, mainly from family. They don’t know the difference between us, causing family gathering to be awkward.” With Elizabeth, she seems to feel like family tend to get them mixed up, not causing an issue but cause awkwardness. Maggie, on the other hand, agrees that they do get mixed up but, spoke of a different instance that happens frequently. “ Yeah it happens (them getting mixed up) all the time, I don’t know about it causing problems. People don’t really care to try and tell the difference between us.”