Triton has Changed, and Graduates have Noticed

Triton alum gives insight into the school’s changes and life after the 4 walls of TRHS

Hannah Marsh, Staff Writer

Everything changes, whether that change is desired or not, and a 27-year-old Triton Alum thinks that the school has changed in the eight years that he has been gone. “I think the school has changed dramatically, for instance, we never even had speed bumps on the driveway,” Brandon Hunt said.

A resident of Byfield, Hunt has lived there his whole life. He still lives in the house he grew up in, with his mother, siblings, his grandfather, and his new Schnauzer puppy, Bogart. While he has two younger siblings who live at home with him, Hunt is the only one who went to Triton. Both his younger sister and brother went to Whittier Tech in Haverhill, MA.

Hunt attended Triton High School between 2005 and 2009. After graduation, he went on to college, attending North Shore Community College where he earned an Associate’s Degree in Business. Hunt is currently working towards his Bachelor’s in Business, one day hoping to work in the accounting field.

Triton’s Accounting teacher, Mr. Richard Fisher, seems to think that accounting is a good field for a young person to enter into. “Employment of accountants and auditors is projected to grow 10 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations.” The area of financial specialists is also supposed to grow by 10%. Right now the accounting field in general is looking good and looking for new people. You’re virtually guaranteed a job if you’re a CPA (Certified Public Accountant),” Fisher said.

“While in school, I worked full time with you at Tractor Supply, and for right now, Tractor, school and my personal life are keeping me pretty busy,” Hunt said. Hunt has worked at Tractor Supply for a little over two years, where he started as the Shipping and Receiving Coordinator, and moved up to a management level six months after he was hired. After working as a Team Leader for a little over four months, Hunt was promoted by the Store Manager, Jack Downing,, to the position of Assistant Manager, which he has had for over a year.

Downing encouraged Hunt to take on the job of Assistant Manager, despite the fact that Hunt was reluctant. “I knew he was manager material, especially since he has such a calm temper and can rationalize with customers who

give him a hard time. Since you, him and I all started at Tractor Supply around the same time, we have kind of all helped each other along and have been friends ever since, even though I switched stores,” Downing said.

“My life is kind of up in the air right now, as I am looking towards buying a house,” Hunt said. “Eventually, I would like the ‘typical American white picket fence life’. Ideally, I would have my own family, with my own house and a job in my field, all of which I know I’ll have eventually.”

Unfortunately, Hunt’s favorite part of Triton is something current students can’t enjoy. “While I was at Triton, the Ark Program was my favorite thing. I loved Ms. Farley, she was great. I definitely think that that helped me and gave me some knowledge for what I am doing now, but I don’t even think that they have that program anymore,” Hunt said.

Hunt said that after graduation, most of the stability and constants in life change. “I definitely miss the social life of high school. All you do is talk to your friends all day because you’re always with them, but in the real world you don’t really have much of a social life between work and school,” Hunt said. “Eventually, you wind up like me and the person you spend the most time with isn’t even a person, it’s your dog.”

“I think that as the generations go on, even though I am still technically in the current high school aged generation, the quality of students has declined. For the most part, teenagers do not care about their performance, professionally or scholastically, 

and they never seem to have any repercussions. I think people are just a lot lazier now and don’t put effort into what they do, so they don’t take pride in it, ” Hunt said.

“When I was at Triton, there was an occasional fight, and very rarely there was a kid who was caught by a teacher with a little weed on them. I know that now, they do drug dog searches, and don’t have bathroom doors because of fights and smoking.”

While some students use high school to gain knowledge in classes that they need for college, Hunt learned other things during his time at Triton High School.

“Triton gives street smart knowledge. A few of the things I learned are applicable to my college classes, but based on what I went to college for and where I am working now, I kind of wish that I went to Essex Tech, even though I enjoyed my time Triton while I was there.”