Wrestling Team 2017-2018

Winter sports, up and running!

Alessandra Basile and Meri Fullford, Staff Writer

With fall sports coming to an end, the winter sports are soon approaching. The 2017-2018 wrestling season is predicted success. The team is a very close group, and is best described as a family during the season.

The team is coached by Sean McElligot, who doubles as a history teacher for Triton. Coach Mac has been at Triton for at least 19 years. Throughout the years he’s been the coach, the team has excelled in teamwork, sportsmanship and wins.

A returning wrestler, Shane Rooney, explained how he thinks the season will go very well this year, and how the team chemistry is.

“ Personally I think we will have a very successful season.”, said Rooney.  “With hard work and dedication our team will definitely be the team to beat this season.” He also described how close the team is and how it will help them with their performance during meets.

“We are all wicked close and are good friends. Since, we are so close our teamwork is very good and when we all cheer each other on during meets, it definitely helps with our performance.”, Rooney also added.

This year in wrestling, we can expect to see our team being the team to beat. Since we only lost three seniors at the end of last year, our team is still a young team. Already at least 20 students have registered for the team, and we are expecting more to join.

John Falasca is a former Triton Wrestler, who excelled throughout his years of high school wrestling. He started wrestling his freshman year, and worked very hard to be the best wrestler he could be, with the help of his coaching staff. Since he has many knowledge on the members of the team and how the team works, he is very knowledgeable on how the team will perform this year.

“A concern for the team last year was that a lot of our wrestlers were young and/or inexperienced. Even still we fought our way to a 17-9 record, which I think is a testament to how hard these young kidsworked to get get better each day. That being said, with another year in the program of the same hard work and a lot of returning talent, I believe that this team will have yet another winning season and potentially a shot at a league or sectional championship.”, said Falasca.

He also talked about how good the coaching staff is for our Triton Wrestling team and how the coaching staff has helped him personally.

“Coach Mac is an excellent coach, one of the very best in the entire state in any given year. Having amassed a winning season in every season as head coach, coach mac pushes his wrestlers to always work their hardest as in the sport of wrestling that is the only way to succeed. I would also like to mention assistant coach Brandon Hayes, who last year was recognized by the state as Division 3 assistant coach of the year, for all the work he put in each day to teach us proper technique and fundamentals that was instrumental to our on-mat success and to always strive to work as hard as we could to better ourselves as wrestlers and also as people.”, Falasca added.

We are looking forward to seeing how this wrestling season turns out. With the help of the coaches and teamwork, the team will be sure to excel. Make sure to come support your Triton Viking Wrestling Team and show them your support as they take on their season.