What’s Halloween Without A Parade?

Last year’s seniors dressed up as Snow White’s seven dwarfs. (Morrison photo)

Emily Muzi, Staff Writers

As of Thursday morning, an assembly was held where the majority of the senior class voted “no” on having the Halloween parade.

The parade was going to be held on Tuesday, October 31, during first period. The senior grade dresses up in costumes and they circle around the inside of the school. The underclassmen and the staff line up and down the hallways to watch the parade.

Last Tuesday, all Triton Regional Schools were closed due to power outages. Therefore, the parade could not happen that day. Guidance Director, Mrs. Meghan Ober, sent an email out to the senior students, parents, and staff:

“The status of the parade is still up in the air. Until the administrative team can meet, and get a clearer picture of what the next few days hold, the parade is postponed. […] We will make an announcement regarding the status of the parade once school is back in session,” said Ms. Ober.

Administration also held off on the rescheduling because they did not know what days school would be open last week due to the power outages. Since then, no further announcements have been made in school or via social media.

Many seniors are upset because they spent a lot of time and money on their costumes. They were disappointed they weren’t able to show off their hard work.

“We, as class officers, asked administration to make an announcement because the longer it takes to get one out, and if it’s canceled, students will not be able to return costumes because of return policies at stores,” said senior class officer, Taylor Penniman.

“Me and the group of people I am dressing up with spent almost two weeks making our costumes,” said senior Mikayla Stone.

“I know someone who bought a cake that was going to be a part of their costume and if the parade doesn’t happen, it’ll be such a waste,” said senior Meredith Kennedy.

The students interviewed are confused because they do not know if it is even being considered to be rescheduled anymore. Administration did not want to have the parade early this week or for the remainder of the last week because the quarter is ending and it would be a distraction.

“I know the parade is a tradition, and we can’t help the fact that school was canceled,”  said Principal Mr. Ruggere.

“It’s the end of the quarter, teachers need to get the grades done; I didn’t want to disrupt that. I thought it would be good to tie it into homecoming week. We are doing it the Wednesday before Thanksgiving in the morning. It will kind of push everything back on Homecoming day, but I think it’ll be a nice way to kick off homecoming and keep the tradition going,”

The seniors would change into their costumes at school or they would come to school with it on. Once the parade’s over, the students would have been given time to change into their senior t-shirts for the pep rally.

During advisory, Thursday morning, all seniors were brought in the auditorium. Ms. Dempsey and Ms. Beaulieu held a vote for the Halloween parade. The senior students voted yes or no on whether or not they think the parade should happen. The popular vote was no, so there will be no Halloween parade for the senior class of 2018.