Students and News

How do they get it?

Lindsey Gardella, Staff Writer

Back in the day, reading the newspaper was popular and one of the most efficient ways to get news, and so was watching it on TV.  These days, high school students definitely don’t take the time to read the newspaper and aren’t interested in watching the news.  So, how do they actually find out about what’s going on in the world?

Based on the input of four Triton students, word of mouth and the Internet are their main sources for learning about current events.

“Usually news will pop up on Twitter while I’m scrolling through the app. I sometimes see breaking news on Youtube if I’m on there, so that is how I usually find out about current news,” said junior Maggie Tardiff.

Social media apps are becoming a huge tool for spreading news. Students spend a majority of their time on their smart phones and on the Internet, so they often come across some articles, even if they aren’t trying to.

“Sometimes I’ll hear students or teachers talking about news stories in the hallways or in class. If I find it interesting, I’ll Google it to learn more,” said junior Michael Armand .

Eye catching or shocking news tends to make it’s way through the halls and the classrooms in the school. Students will get the general idea of the story and will sometimes look more into it by going on credible websites and reading articles, if it interests them.

“My dad watches the news every morning, so I can hear it in the background while I get ready for school, so I learn about the news that way,” said sophomore Makayla Sprague.

Lots of parents, or older generations are still interested in the news and will watch it in the morning while they drink their coffee before work. It’s rare that their children join them to find out about the current events, because of lack of interest in a majority of  kids of this age. However, they can still take some of it in by overhearing the channel.

“My parents usually talk about news events at dinner, so I hear about it from their conversations at the table,” said junior Savannah Nolan.

Some parents are still into current events and hearing about news. It is a popular topic of conversation at the dinner table, so that is another way students hear about local or recent news.

As the generations go on, the interest in news is decreasing, teenagers have different interests in what they want to watch on TV and what they want to see on the Internet and social media apps. Somehow, they still learn about the current events going on in the world, even if it isn’t how it used to be learned about.