Fall Sports Recap

Triton’s fall sports have had a quite successful year, but they are coming to a close as winter sports are quickly approaching.

Marlee Smith, Staff Writer

The field hockey team has had a very successful season so far. Their record is 13-2-3.Gianna Conte, Julia Cordeau, and Bridget Sheehan were awarded with first team all stars for the CAL. Donna Ross was awarded with second team all star and Julia Cordeau got player of the year. Julia Cordeau scored an incredible 29 goals and Gianna Conte has gotten 14 goals.” Im very proud of my team this year.” said Julia Cordeau. “We pulled through and we were a lot better than expected as an overall team. I can’t wait to continue on in the tournament and hopefully win more games!”

The first round of the tournament Triton played Ipswich High School on November 1 and won 5-0. Sarah Burd, Gianna Conte, Riane Vatcher each scored 1 goal and Julia Cordeau scored 2. On Friday November 3, Triton played Marblehead and won 2-1. The Vikings played Manchester Essex November 7 and lost 1-2.

The cheerleading team is very different from all other Triton athletics as they start their competitive season much later than all the other sports. On October 22, the Vikings had a cheer competition at Tewksbury High School and earned second place. They faced a 5 point penalty for having an illegal pyramid and lost to Tewksbury High School by .3 points. They got a score of 77.

On October 28, Triton’s Cheerleading team had a competition at Braintree High School and received first place. They got an 85. On Thursday, November 2, Triton’s cheerleading team had the Cape Ann League Championships and earned second place with a score of 88.8. Masconomet High School received first place and beat Triton by 1.8 points. The Vikings have made it to regionals and hope to win November 12 at Lowell High School.

Captain Mackenzie Silverstein reflects on her opinion of the team this year and says,” I am so happy with the outcome of our season. We have had a great year and a huge comeback compared to last year. I’m grateful that I am going to end my cheerleading career more successful than it was last year. I can’t wait to see what next year holds for my teammates.”

Triton’s football team had a difficult year as they lost majority of their starting line, as a result their record was 2-6. Their two wins were against Ipswich High School and Amesbury High School. Triton made it to the tournament and played Somerville on October 27 and lost 20-9. The Vikings played Bedford November 3 and won 33-28. The Vikings will be playing Bishop Fenwick on Veterans Day, November 10 in their last tournament game of the season. Their final game will be on Thanksgiving for the annual game against Pentucket on November 23.

Triton’s girls volleyball team had another rough season, but they did win a few games as their record was 4-18. The Vikings are getting better and getting more experience as this program is still quite new. The first team all stars were Carrie Rooney and Colleen McCarthy.

The girls cross country team had a good season with a record of 6-4. The girls team did not have any all stars this year.

“Our girls team is super young, but the fact that we were able to finish with a winning record just shows what they’ll be capable of in the years ahead.” says senior Chalee Welch.” It was also really cool to see the boys team seriously compete, only losing to Pentucket, one of the best teams in the state”.

The boys cross country team had a very successful year with a record of 9-1, their only loss to Pentucket High School. Liam Gay-Killeen and Colin Brennan were first team all stars for the season.

The boys soccer team record was 1-10-5. Their only win was against Amesbury High School. The first team all stars were Ross and Cole Lojek for this season. Unfortunately, the Vikings did not make it to the tournament, but they hope to be more successful next year. The girls soccer team also had a rough season with only a few wins. Their record was 2-9-4. The first team all stars were Meredith Kennedy and Bella Lesinski. Sadly, the Vikings did not make it to the tournament but hope to next year.