Insight To The National Anthem Protest

The fight between racial injustice and dishonor to our flag

Ryan+Farrol+kneeling+when+asked+to+pose+

Simms

Ryan Farrol kneeling when asked to pose

Ivy Simms, Staff Writer

Racial discrimination and injustice goes back centuries and so does men serving in the military.

The recent NFL National Anthem protests lies between these two sides. One side is they (NFL/ Profession and High School Athletes) protest against racial discrimination and police brutality. On the other side of the fence are the ones who find kneeling during the anthem disrespectful to our military, our country and our flag.

Police brutality and racial discrimination point of the view

The NFL players and other sports are protesting by kneeling during The National Anthem. This protest represents the side of racial injustice and police brutality.

“I think their (NFL/Professional and High School Athletes) protesting for a good reason instead,” said Liam Gay-Killeen. He then went on to say “maybe they  could have marches.”

Some High School players are getting suspended due to kneeling so, protesting in marches seem to  be more effective in Gay-Killeen’s eyes. Nytimes.com reported that two high school football players in Texas were suspended from their team because to they protested weeks after having a letter sent home explaining what would happen if the protested. Nytimes.com also got a quote from the coach of the team, Coach Ronnie Mitchem who said “ the teenages demostration was offensive to the people who served in the military.” Coach Mitchem himself was a Marine Vet, reported Nytimes.com.

The students at Triton High school voiced their opinions on the issue. “It’s unfair to have players suspended.” Anthony Lentz said. “They have their right of opinion.”  

The Side of the protest being disrespectful to Military, Country, and flag

SI.com reports, how The Patriots go on to the field stood proud with one hand on a player and the other on their heart.

The others expressed the other side of the fence, Bella Kreticos said “I personally disagree with it ( protesting).”

When asked to justify her reason for disagreeing Kreticos then said, “the flag shows freedom and all the good things in our nation.” This was justifying the fact that the least these athletes could do is stand for The Anthem of our nation.

The Anthem according to dictionary.com “a solemn patriotic song officially adopted by a country as an expression of national identity.” Renee Pearson said “ I find it very disrespectful when the people we pay for entertainment chose to use that platform that we gave them, to protest on our time instead of all the time. If you were truly passionate about what you’re  protesting, then you would do it at all times instead of just during  prime time TV. Our flag and National Anthem represent our soldiers, the men and women, who fought and sometimes died for our country, and we should show our respect by standing and having a moment of silence in their honor.”

The one thing all those interviewed agree on

All three sources agreed on one thing, the fact that there are others ways to protest, more effective ways. One that was mentioned was marches. Gay-Killeen said “ protest is a big problem ,need to find more effective ways.” when asked what kind of ways are more effective Gay-Killeen said “marches or I don’t know find something more effective.” Kreticos said “what others ways they think of (for protesting).”.