Stress of College Applications

Seniors talk about their college applications

Senior Kellie Corbin, working on her college application. (Plummer photo)

Julia Plummer, Staff Writer

It is that time of the year for our seniors. Deadlines for college applications are just around the corner. The Triton Voice caught up with a few seniors to see where they are planning on applying, and what they find most stressful about the process.

“The hardest part of the process for me is trying to find the school that best fits me,” said senior Marc Wood. Trying to find the perfect school that has a great program for your intended major, is affordable, and of course has the best location is always difficult, but once you find the one, it is time to send in your application.

Most schools use the Common Application, and some even add specific questions or an additional writing prompt. For senior Carly MacDonald, the schools she’s applying to require a portfolio for her intended major.

“I’m applying to UCLA, USC, Chapman University, Pepperdine University, and a few more schools in California.” she said.

“I’m hoping to get into their film production programs, so I have to direct and produce a short film, which I have to put into my portfolio for my application,” said Macdonald.

“The hardest part has definitely been trying to get my short film done on top of cheerleading and all of my school work,” she said.

Most colleges have the choice of early decision, which means that when applying, a student is immediately committed to the school if he or she gets in. There is early admission, which just means you apply early (usually around November 1) and you get to know sooner whether you were accepted or not. There is also the regular admission option which is a few months later and the deadlines vary depending on the school. Some students, only have the option of early admission because of their intended majors. Senior Jaynee Colberg wants to join a nursing program, so the deadline for her application for the University of South Carolina was Sunday, October 15.

“It was really stressful having such an early deadline. It was difficult getting all of the resources that I needed for the application together and getting my college essay done on top of that,” said Colberg.

The guidance department also has important jobs when it comes to helping students with their applications.

“Counselors send in transcripts and recommendations,” said guidance counselor Allesha Kenyon.

“We also have to fill out a number of forms for each student as part of the Common App, and other applications,” she said. It is important for each student to regularly communicate with their counselor, so everything gets done and you have everything you need for your application.

Once applications are sent to all the schools of a student’s choice, the next thing to do is wait for the acceptance letter. Later this year, we’ll see where our seniors end up.