Getting into the Halloween ‘scare’it

Shannon Lanphear, Staff Writer

Halloween is right around the corner, people are trying to get in the spirit. There are seniors, thinking of costume ideas for their dress-up day, students deciding whether or not they are too old to be trick-or-treating, and people trying to scare themselves into the Halloween spirit by attending events such as Screamfest and other haunted houses.

Seniors have been thinking for a while about what kinds of costumes they want to wear for their parade being held on October 31st. After watching former Vikings walk the halls of the high school the last four years, many ideas have come to mind.

Seniors Tina Gordon, Rachel Rowe and Katie MacDonald are dressing to be Piglet, Eeyore and Winnie the Pooh for the parade

“We thought it’d be cute. We ordered onesies online, and I’m excited to see how it looks,” said Gordon.

Other seniors are dressing as aliens, fruits, and the characters of scooby-doo and more.

When are you too old to trick-or-treat? Dressing up how you want and walking around with friends getting free candy seems to be a no-brainer, and people don’t want to grow out of such a privilege, but what age is pushing it? When should you finally give it up and be the one giving out the candy instead of taking it?

“I think once you’re a freshman you should stop trick or treating,” said senior Sarah Norton. “I feel like it’s a time when maturity kicks in and you start to take on responsibilities like handing out candy to the little kids.”

However, others may argue that you are never too old. That trick-or-treating should be for all ages and it is fun and brings the community together.

“I wouldn’t personally go triton-or-treating this year, only because there are other things I would rather be doing, but I don’t think we are too old. There’s no rule that says once you become more mature and closer to adulting that you can no longer dress up with your friends and go out to get free candy,” said Marisa Soffron.

Screamfest is an event at Canobie Lake Park that happens every year from Saturday, September 23rd through Sunday, October 29th. They are open until 11 pm Fridays and Saturday nights and until 8 pm on Sunday nights. Prices vary on what day you go and at what time. However, general admission is $34 on Friday and Sundays and $38 on Saturday’s. Ages 3 and under are always admitted for free, and people under 48 years old or over 60 years, is $23 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

“I usually go to Screamfest every year, but I don’t always enjoy it. I don’t like being scared, it’s an uncomfortable feeling,” said Katie MacDonald.

At this event, actors dress up as scary as they can to chase people and creep them out. Screamfest has haunted houses, where you go in expecting to get scared. Many Triton students love this event and attend it every year and will continue that tradition into this year. As for others, being scared is just not their kind of fun.