The Snack Epidemic

Students are no longer allowed to purchase snacks from the cafeteria during third period

Emily Muzi & Katie MacDonald, Staff Writers

Senior Tina Gordon says “Since snack period was taken away, I have trouble focusing in my classes.”

As of October, Triton High School students had taken away the privilege of buying snacks during third period.

The vending machines are empty and students are no longer allowed to go down to the cafeteria to buy snacks, unless it is before school, during breakfast. Many interviewed students oppose that solution because most students do not have time in the morning to go down to the cafe and wait in line. With this being the case, many students are angry with the school because they now claim they go through the day hungry.

“The vending machines, except for the one in the cafeteria, were nonconforming. They didn’t meet the laws and regulations nutritionally, which is why those are being removed. We’re trying to have snacks available at breakfast,” said Cafeteria Manager Sharon Bolduc.  

The Triton High School administration received many complaints from teachers about students being tardy for class and missing lessons.

“It became an issue because kids didn’t plan ahead. They were running down (to the cafeteria) at the beginning of the period, and they are gone for ten to fifteen minutes. That was the issue,” said science teacher Mr. Bradford Smith.

The lines in the cafeteria were so long, it would take students ten to fifteen minutes to go buy a snack. Teachers and the cafeteria staff felt this was too chaotic and that they needed a solution to be put in place. Many teachers do not think eating in class is a distraction, it was just that students walking in late and missing class time was. It put the learning process on hold. Teaches said they do not want to teach a lesson to their class and then have to reteach it to students who were waiting in the snack line.

Due to the complaints, The administration and cafeteria management had to come up with a compromise, which was to only allow the purchasing of snacks during breakfast.

Principal Mr. Ruggere says, “I believe it was Ms. Bolduc and Ms. Dawe (who decided to take away the privileges of buying snacks). There were too many kids coming in (the cafe) and kids being late for class. […]  From Ms. Bolduc’s end, she was getting a lot of complaints from teachers and that’s when she got Ms. Dawe involved.”

Students who were interviewed do not agree with the new policy.

“I disagree with not being able to buy snacks because what if you don’t have the money or time to get a snack before school. Kids are then left hungry and unable to focus for the first five periods of the day,” says senior, Meredith Kennedy.

The main issue students have is that they find themselves distracted, antsy, and unable to listen and complete work if they do not eat until fifth period lunch time. If students did not come prepared with a snack, they find themselves having to steal from their lunch box. “I have to take things out of my lunch box- from my wholesome lunch- because I’m hungry and can’t focus, but I’m not allowed to buy a snack, so now I’m ruining my lunch. It’s ridiculous.” says senior, Julia Rennie.

“I think having the option to eat is good. It’s good for your brain. It keeps you active. It keeps you focused, so I do think that is important,” said Assistant Principal, Ms. Kathryn Dawe. “If you want to have a snack and you’re not going to be able to get here in the morning, you need to plan ahead. We are not trying to take anything away from anybody, but you need to prepare. You need to know that’s something you need to have in your bag.”

Snack period still exists. Students are still allowed to eat during third period. Bottom line is to come into school prepared with a snack if you know you will be hungry according to interviewed staff.