Freshmen – Here’s What You’re Doing Wrong

Seniors and Freshmen Teacher’s Advice To All Freshman To Improve Their High School Career

Maia Perry, Staff Writer

Throughout the years, freshmen coming into their first year of high school have drastically changed socially and academically. There have been noticeable changes about freshman over the recent years that even the seniors of this year have been able to point out. We are not trying to offend any freshman, or call them out in any way, we are just here to help and tell them what they should do to be prepared for college and their lives after high school.

“Although it is only the first quarter, it is easy to notice that the freshmen have a hard time working independently,” says freshman English teacher, Mrs. Sarah Scruton.

Scruton says she notices that technology is also a huge problem now.

“Academically, students don’t write complex sentences because all they are used to is texting,” says Scruton.

She also says how behavior is being changed by technology. That is because students are now all focused on what is going on in the social media world and they tend to not act out in class.

“Yes, this can be a good thing of course, but at the same time, we don’t actually know what’s really distracting them SO much on their phones,” said Scruton. “It’s honestly kind of scary.”

Another freshmen (Art) teacher, Mr. Josh Andrews, notices how freshmen are definitely a lot less likely to speak up now a days or be interactive in any type of class discussion.

“The ratio of people who are active and communicative is a lot lower than it used to be,” says Andrews.

Andrews gives his advice to freshman by saying, “Come out of your shell. Stop being so afraid. Yes, It’s hard and scary, but look around you. You’re all in the same boat. Pay less attention to your phones and start interacting with humans.”

Senior Tina Gordon says she regrets not taking her freshmen year of high school seriously.

“I wasn’t thinking about college or my life after high school at all,” says Gordon. “But being in my senior year now, I can look back and say that every single year of your high school career really matters.”

As a freshmen, students may be thinking that they still have three more years, but in reality those years will go by quicker than anyone could ever imagine. All four years of grades and behavior really does matter for college.

“Colleges have access to see everything you have done throughout all four years of being in high school,” says senior Justin Stanley. “It is extremely important to study and prepare for whatever will be thrown at you.”

Stanley says phones are not as important as you may think.

“I know it’s tempting to stare at your phone and constantly be checking who just texted you, but it is really important to pay attention in class,” says Stanley. “You’ll learn a lot from the teachers in this school, no matter how much some of them may bug you.”

He goes on to say how if someone knows what their interests are or what they want to do after high school, then they should start looking into classes or electives that will help them further their interests. Do not wait until the very last school year to take classes that will benefit life after high school.

Scruton says that “Once you realize what your focus is and what you’re good at, it’s easy to notice how much your confidence will shoot up.”

Moral of the story, don’t be afraid to speak up, say your thoughts, or ask for help. It may sound cliche, but getting off of your phone and paying attention in class is extremely helpful to get you through high school with the good grades that everyone wishes for. Choose your classes wisely and don’t let anyone tell you what you can or can’t do. Always work to the best of your ability, follow your dreams and take action.