From Inauguration to Deterioration

The Rise and Fall of Triton Regional High School
Ryan Snow
Triton corridor before renovations (1999) and currently (2024)

On December 28, 1966, the citizens of our three towns—Salisbury, Rowley, and Newbury—overwhelmingly voted in favor of the regional school agreement. One year later, the towns voted for the funds for the land and planning. The school’s location, spanning 135 acres on the former Whitney Farm on Elm Street, was selected. On February 6, 1969, during a meeting regarding the new school, each town allocated $7.8 million for its construction. The contractor and construction crew were hired, and ground broke for the project on March 7, 1969. In September of 1971, Triton had its inaugural day of school, marking the beginning of a new era, one that would last a few decades too long.

Years before Triton’s construction, students in the three towns had to choose a neighboring school, leading to overcrowding at schools such as Newburyport and Amesbury High Schools. This prompted the construction of the new regional school, equipped with all the latest amenities, now relics of the past for current Triton attendees. Despite the luxuries we once boasted, the school has seemingly been falling apart for the past few decades, with the last renovation to the high school occurring with the addition of the Middle School in 2000, causing major concern for many as the school deteriorates.

Triton has become outdated compared to its former glory while neighboring districts are erecting new schools. During a recent field trip to Pentucket High School, these issues became even more apparent. Initially, Triton was a state-of-the-art facility, complete with lecture halls, intercom systems in each classroom, recessed lighting, and a cafeteria boasting a decadent view of the Newbury marsh. However, the classroom lighting is unbearable to most students, often causing headaches by the end of the day. The lecture halls and intercom systems have been removed entirely. Along with all of this, the once beautiful marsh view has been marred by additional buildings, fields, and walkways.

Initially, Triton was truly special, something out of the movies. However, it now harbors numerous problems and serious issues, from squishy tiles to leaky ceilings, indicating that the marsh ecosystem is reclaiming the school. Students at Triton must endure stale, polluted air daily. Additionally, the gym features a mysterious brown stain on the wall, showcasing the school’s true age. Since its construction, few improvements have been made, with the major renovations and changes spread out over many years. The first addition came in April of 1999, when a new cafeteria and auditorium were added, along with significant changes to the hallways. Construction on the middle school began in 1999, with its opening in 2000. In 2001, a new boiler room was added, visible from the back lot and the tech hallway. Following these additions, construction seemingly halted until 2016 when the brand-new stadium opened, allowing the class of 2017 to be the first to graduate in it. Since then, no significant developments have occurred. The school stands today, being reclaimed by the marsh ecosystem it was foolishly built on, with leaks and stains to remind us how overdue we are for a rebuild. Triton may be riddled with issues inside and out, but at least we have our $2.5 million stadium to admire.