All Doubts Dashed by Delicious Donuts

Class of 2024 Has Success Again with Fund-Raiser; “Donut Jesus” Appears Again.
The top buyer of the donuts, Dominic Karpenko, has also taken things to a new level this year, donning a wig, beard, and toga to become the Donut Jesus who gives away the treat to students.
Barrington photo
The top buyer of the donuts, Dominic Karpenko, has also taken things to a new level this year, donning a wig, beard, and toga to become the “Donut Jesus” who gives away the treat to students.

In just two weeks, Triton class of 2024 class officers have raised more than $2,000 in a donut fundraiser. It’s turned into a school tradition and it seems the students are overjoyed to get their donuts.

Class officers have been making rounds collecting money for the Cider Hill donut fundraiser which aims to support the class of 2024 senior week and prom and so far it has been going off without a hitch. The donuts are selling like wildfire and the money talks. It has no sign of slowing down until the orders are put in.

“Confirmed number: 3,456 donuts sold for over $2,000 in profit to go to senior week,” saidClass Officer, Douglas Aylward.

Students have been buying donuts in bulk. This has become a student favorite tradition at Triton and this year it’s been taken to the next level. Class officers like Cam Neary trumping their sales numbers from previous years and other students like Dominick Karpenko have boosted their sales tenfold. Students may have seen him lurking through the school donning a robe and wheeling around a shopping cart filled with the desired donuts.

The Donut Fundraiser has become a student favorite but that doesn’t mean it always stays the same. Each year, the students manage to up the ante. For one, the donut sales have skyrocketed from previous years and the annual shenanigans that come with it, have also followed suit.

The top buyer of the donuts, Dominic Karpenko, has also taken things to a new level this year. Since last year he’s been known for going around the school with a shopping cart stuffed to the brim with donuts but this time he has “ascended” as he put it. Not only has he purchased 400 donuts, 100 more than last year, but he was also seen donning a robe, beard and flowing hair. He now calls himself, “Donut Jesus”.

Out of the money spent on the fundraiser, Karpenko spent $380. When asked what inspired him to buy this many donuts he said “I am the Donut God, and I need to gift my children with my body,”. He went on to say that if students have received donuts from classmates  he won’t hand out any to them. “If you believe in your own religion, that’s on you,” hw ais. Several students asked Karpenko questions about his robe and when this reporter  asked similar questions his only response was as follows; “Because I’m god! What more would you want me to say?”

No student made as much as senior Cam Neary who sold by far the most amount during the fundraiser.  

“I’m a big Cider Hill guy…” Neary said, “…and to share that joy with my community feels really great.” When asked about the sheets of paper he was carrying around, he elaborated on how much he sold. “Each paper could hold 10 names and I had about 15 sheets of names,” That means Neary sold to at least 150 students making $2,171 in sales.  That alone makes him responsible for more than half of the total profit. According to Neary he would use “A tricky tactic” suggesting the dozen packages to his customers by explaining how buying in bulk was a better deal.   That way, he makes more from the sale. When asked if he had any connection to Karpenko he said, “He’s my rock. The first year he bought $100 dollars worth and I thought ‘no, that will never happen again’”. Each year later, however, he would be proven wrong.

From the students point of view, the event was a hit. During lunch students could be seen swapping and eating their donuts and all day it remained a huge topic of conversation. “Men lie, women lie, numbers don’t,” saidNeary when asked if he felt the donut fundraiser was a success.