Triton Tech

What Kinds of Phone Do People at Triton Use?

Ryan Farrell, Staff Writer

Cell phones have become a huge part of modern life. It seems like everyone has one, but what kinds of phones do students at Triton have?

The Triton Voice conducted a small survey of 15 students and staff and found the following results:

Brands of Phone Owned by Triton Students and Staff

This graph clearly show that Apple’s Iphone dominates the market at Triton. 86.7% of those surveyed use a phone made by Apple, while 13.3% use a phone made by Samsung.

Models of Phone Owned by Triton Students and Staff

This graph shows that the majority of people at Triton have the Iphone 7. Though about half use older Apple or Samsung phones.

These results differ significantly from the actual distribution of cell phones in the United States. According to comscore.com, Apple has a 43.6% share of the market while Samsung controls 27.9% of the market.

The results found here at Triton shows twice as many Iphones as expected while Samsung has only half as many phones as expected. Other phone brands that make up around 30% of the market in the US are conspicuously absent from the study of cell phones at Triton.

The survey of students specific model of phone yielded similarly interesting results. Of the participants with Iphones, none of them had the latest model, the Iphone 8, released in September 2017. The majority of people with Iphones had the Iphone 7 which was released in September of 2016. 13.3% of those surveyed were still using the Iphone 5s, which was released more than 4 years ago.

However, with Samsung users we see much more recent models. All participants with a phone made by Samsung had the latest model, the Galaxy S8, which was released in April 2017.

This trend may disappear after the Iphone 8 has been out longer and decreased in price. As of now the 8 hasn’t even been released for a full month. Additionally, consumers may see the 8 drop in price when the Iphone X is released in November.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.