Newburyport’s New Addition

Newburyports New Addition

Hannah Marsh, Staff Writer

Quigley standing behind the ice cream cooler

Harbor Creamery, a new ice cream shop, located on Pleasant Street in Newburyport, is in its second month of operation, and already has quite the following and quite the selection of flavors, both usual and unusual.

The new addition to Newburyport blends in quite well, as it has a very contemporary and upscale feel. A nautical theme surrounds it all, with its blue and white striped walls, its logo being a bell buoy that includes the ‘H’ of the name, and even shiplap wood on the walls. To hang their menu board, they even used cleats from a boat and weathered rope.

Unlike many family-owned, homemade ice cream shops around, Harbor Creamery accepts debit and credit cards on an iPad that they have equipped with Square software, enabling that to be their POS station. This not only increases the nummber of customers who will buy ice cream, but also helps their up-to-date, contemporary feel.

Not only is it serving the district with a new place to scoop up a sweet treat, but it is also employing students in the district. Senior Jillian Quigley is one of the crew members, who will often come to school in one of her brightly colored “crew” shirts, in anticipation of her shift after school, which is often 4-8:30pm.

“I love working here! My favorite part is telling everyone about our ice cream and how it’s homemade, and not like Richardson’s or something,” Quigley said. “I love talking to people and getting to know them!”

“We plan to be closed for about six weeks in the middle of the winter. We will close around the middle of December, and be closed until mid-February. We will definitely be open again by February 14,” Merri-Lee Steves, the owner and manager, said. “Right before we close all of our ice cream will be really cheap, especially the pints and quarts, so we can clean out the freezers.”

As new as it is, Harbor Creamy already has quite the following. “We have a lot of regular customers who will come in with our frequent flyer cards filled with stamps, but we also get a lot of tourist traffic, which is starting to die down now,” Quigley said.

“My favorite flavor is M&M, but we just came out with pumpkin, and that’s to die for!” Quigley said.

Current seasonal flavors include: Hocus Pocus, Pumpkin, Caramel Apple, and a cider donut sundae. Time tested favorites include: Blackraspberry, Cookiedough, Coffee, and a Banana Split.