Triton’s Senior Privilege

One of the biggest things a student looks forward to is being a senior and having the privilege they’ve waited on since freshman year. But at Triton, is the senior privilege really worth all that much? For Triton seniors, if parents sign off on it, you’re allowed to leave school early if you have study hall last period. Though this is a nice reward for making it to the final year of high school, students think they’ve earned more. This year’s senior class believes they should be able to leave study no matter what time of the day it takes place. If they’re capable of maintaining good grades, students should get to experience this additional freedom. Next year they’ll be at college where independence is a big concept, and what better way to learn it than by getting to leave school during free periods? 

At the beginning of this year, students had to earn their senior privilege by having good attendance and showing staff members they could follow the rules. The senior class officers had to write a proposal and present it to the principals and other staff members. The proposal was asking for seniors to come in late if they have study hall first, and to leave early if their study is last period. It was approved but only for leaving for free periods at the end of the day, not for coming in late, due to the staff saying we have not ‘earned it yet’. 

Students have spoken to staff members following the rejection of leaving in the beginning and middle of the day. Seniors spoke up saying they have earned the ability to leave by making it to senior year and by working to get their license and using it appropriately. They also said they’d never put their privilege at risk by cutting class in the middle of the day. If seniors had a free period and a class after they would be back in enough time to be present for class.

Staff and faculty expect students to stay in their studies or go to the library. But sometimes this is not the best work environment. Certain rooms are distracting to students and depending on when their study is, say fourth period (aka long period), they have to stay put for seventy minutes. This would be a great time for students to go out, grab a coffee or lunch and be back in time for class. 

Aragonoutlook.org says that expecting a student to stay on campus or in the library/classroom (where their study is) is outdated. Having the chance to go out and have a little break from the classroom can be very refreshing to students. With these hard times provided by the pandemic, education has been difficult to continue normally. Students’ learning processes have been affected which caused a lot of people anxiety. Going for a drive and having an hour’s break seems fair. Adults with their jobs get an hour for lunch and the chance to leave and grab something, with enough time to return to work. 

Staff at Triton believe leaving for study last period of the day is more than enough. Some believe that students leaving their study halls in the middle of the day is dangerous. If they were to leave, they could get pulled over or get in an accident. They don’t want to run the risk of kids getting in harm’s way, so they only let them leave school when they have study hall last period of the day, by signing out in the office. The faculty mainly said this because they don’t want to be liable which is understandable.

Once students reach their final year of high school they’ve matured a lot. They’re not as irresponsible as they were freshman year. They understand that consequences come from their own actions. If we have licenses and parents say it’s okay by signing a release, students should be able to leave their study halls in the middle of the day as long as they’re back in time for class. 

Having a seven-hour day of straight education is a lot on a student. Having a break in the middle of the day to unwind, go for a drive, or to catch lunch can help a student a lot mentally. As long as parents are okay with it, and seniors maintain their grades, they should be able to have this privilege.