Goodbye Auditorium!

Triton signs contract to demolish auditorium and make space for trophy room

The screen for karaoke was placed in ‘Spamalot’s’ castle themed set.

Throughout Triton, it is a popular opinion that the student athletes are not congratulated enough. There are hardly any pep rallies, barely any posters, and no notification on when sports activities’ are going on. Some have said it seems as though Viking Pride has been on the steady decline. The question remains; how do we get it back? How de we show our athletes even more respect?

When one enters Triton through the main high school doors, they turn left past the office and are met face to face with the school auditorium. Taking up a good amount of space, next to the auditorium however are the drama and arts classes.

Students have realized this empty space not being used for anything productive, and started vandalizing the auditorium. Statements such as “On dogs, we need a pool here,” or “We should build another football stadium in the arts department,” are scribbled all across the seats and even the floors of the stage.

As expected, principal Kathryn Dawe has taken immediate reaction to the vandalizations, making the statement “Vandalization is never the right thing to do, but I’m beyond elated the student body is using their voice. Perhaps we should listen to some of their ideas.”

Things have seemed to change, as well. Due to a unanimous vote amongst the school board at the last meeting it has been decided that the auditorium will be completely torn down, and reconstructed into a trophy room and school gym.

“It was only about time,” says Drama teacher Sharon Riordan. “It’s a shame, indeed, but don’t the arts kids take up enough space already? We need more areas of the school dedicated to idolizing our true stars, and my personal heroes, the student athletes.”