Gettin’ the Best Ski-sperience

A Guide to Skiing the East

March 12, 2019

Faucher photo/courtesy some random guy taking our photo

One of the author’s, Mackenna Faucher and her family pose on an ideal ski day at Gunstock Mountain

Where do you ski? (you can select multiple)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

With skis on shoulders and bags at hips, people swarm the snowy mountains in search of the best powder. The New England area has some famous hit-or-miss mountains for all types of skiers. Making a long haul up north and spending copious amounts of money can make decisions hard. In order to give yourself the best ski-sperience possible, the Triton Voice has gone out to review some accessible ski resorts so you don’t have to.

Gunstock has never failed to provide the best hospitality and views of the White Mountains. It is just an hour and fifteen minutes away, located in Gilford, NH. Panorama Pub, located at the top of the mountain, acts as a ski lodge before you make your way down the mountain. Along with the good food, Gunstock is home to eight lifts and more than 50 trails to choose from. More than half of their trails are marked as intermediate so nobody is opted out of being able to ski here. For those of you who would rather spend your time in the park, Gunstock is home to the largest night park in New Hampshire. The only downside to Gunstock is the bras and mardi gras beads that hang in the trees along the chairlifts, making this a little less “family-friendly.”

A smaller mountain located in New Hampshire is King Pine  that features more beginner trails. Its size is modest but lift tickets are usually between $20-50 instead of $40-90 at Gunstock. Although this mountain is not ideal for serious skiers, it makes for a good, cheap ski trip. Along with tickets, their gear is less pricey than most. You can find goggles for around $25 at the Ice House Retail store. This mountain definitely appeals more to beginner skiers. It is under 2 hours from Byfield, making it an attainable day trip.

Cranmore is a moderate ski mountain bigger than King Pine but smaller than Gunstock. It is very clean and has a three-floor main lodge with a cafeteria. The tickets are priced at $60-80 for one day. It is only about an hour and a half drive from Triton. There’s a lift halfway down the mountain and plenty of trails despite its quaint size. On the top there is also a lodge to get food and just chill out with your fellow skiers. On the downside, there is not much of a terrain park. Most of the trails are fairly flat, but give skiers a more relaxing and scenic route down the mountain.

At all of these resorts, you’ll find reasonable prices, good food, and trails perfect for intermediate skiers. Our personal recommendation is Gunstock. If the price of the tickets is an issue, make sure to pack a lunch to avoid any further expenses. Usually lodge food is priced at a much higher rate than your typical restaurant. Although it can get busy, they have some of the most advanced technology for keeping the lift lines fast and easy.

Their RFID reloadable cards allow you to simply walk through a scanner instead of waiting to be scanned by an employee.

Reloading the cards online can make the lift tickets incredibly cheap. The feeling at Gunstock is homey and makes you makes you want to come back again and again.