For the Love of Physics

The story behind Triton Physics Teacher Juan Castro

radio+observatory+

radio observatory

Steve Baiardi, Staff Writer

Growing up twelve degrees below the Equator in Lima, Peru, the thought of becoming a physicist seemed to be unimaginable, but after Graduating from a university in Peru, Juan Antonio Castro Valdivieso started working at a radio observatory. Eventually the opportunity to enter the realm of physics presented itself in the form of an education at Cornell University.

“I wanted to go to the Naval Academy,” said Castro. “…but my father convinced me that my so called talents lie in mathematics.”

Peru had a big radio observatory created and built by American scientists after establishing a contract with the United States claiming that the US would give Peru the facility to work in, while at the same time training the personnel in the United States. “So I happened to be in the right place at the right time, because they offered me an education at a very prestigious school.” After graduating from Peru in 1968, Castro went to Cornell to receive his Master’s Degree in Astrophysics.

Castro wanted to further his education by going for a PhD at Iowa State, but ended up deciding to give up his efforts in exchange for supporting his growing family.

“God blessed me with six kids, and by the time we left Iowa we only had three to take care of,” explains Castro. While looking for a place to settle down, Castro decided on Massachussetts, “I chose Massachusetts in particular for teaching math. In 1981, Gordon College had an opening in mathematics and computer science, so I decided to move my family the the East Coast to settle down.”

It wasn’t until 2003 that Castro finally ended up at Triton High School in Byfield, Mass, where he now teaches several Honors and CP physics classes, as well as an AP Physics Mechanics course. At 72 years young, Castro has been at Triton for 13 years now, and passionately expresses his love for physics to all levels of his students.

However, physics isn’t the only thing that Castro is passionate about. “Soccer is very fun to watch,” said Castro in a recent interview. “I watch the British Premier League and recently other sports like Football because of my family who grew up in the US…I also love to watch war movies. The military background in my family and in my own life has made me gravitate very strongly to war.”

One of Castro’s AP students, Ryan Farrell comments on his class, “He knows a lot about physics. He works hard and expects students to work hard. He expects no excuses or what he commonly refers to as ‘nuey nueyness’. Its definitely a hard class, but its very interesting.”

When asked about an event or circumstance that molded him into the person he is today, Castro responded. “Once you study advanced physics and applied mathematics, you start pondering what is the significance of all of this in the great scheme of the universe, and that is why I love physics so much.”