Students rights of expression

High School students are at a point in their lives where they strive to express themselves through any and all outlets available to them. Throughout history schools have done their best to keep the school environment healthy, happy and focused on learning. Schools achieve this by limiting the rights of students while they are on the school campus. However, this I believe is unjust. Everyone should have the right to express themselves through speech, clothing, and actions. Freedom of expression does not directly affect the rights of another person. In a public school setting, these same principles should apply.

In the 1943 case of West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, a law was passed forcing all students to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Students at the school stood up for their rights, and took the law to court where they won, resulting in the court repealed the law.

I understand and respect that teachers and faculty need to keep the students in line in order to keep problems at bay, and  the school running smoothly. Some may believe that a simple way to remove distraction in the school environment is limiting freedoms such as what students wear, what they can say and what they can do. However, as a student in high school, I see the negative impact of such restrictions.

I firmly stand by my opinion that all students in public schools should be allowed and have the right to express themselves in anyway as long as they do not hurt or effect anyone else.

Triton Voice • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Triton Voice Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *