Don’t Discount the Discount

A Guide to Discount Holiday Shopping

November 20, 2018

Ethan Tougas

A great screwdriver set at Tom’s Discount for only $14.99 makes a great gift for dad!

Ethan Tougas
Bed sets starting at $19.95 make great gifts for the family!
Ethan Tougas
Organization bins starting at $4 each. These are fantastic gifts for older siblings heading towards college.

With the holiday season just around the corner, students will need to begin shopping for Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa presents. Discount stores and thrift shops such as Tom’s Discount and Leeward Light are full of great deals for the holidays.

Senior Luc Metivier is an employee at Leeward Light Thrift Store in Salisbury.

“I personally really like working there,” said Metivier. “I get a lot of free stuff but I also get to give back to the community which is awesome.

“For holiday gifts though we get a lot of cups and mugs, various kinds of electronics and a lot of clothes all for great prices.”

Leeward light also has a large variety of furniture, both small and large, which could make great gifts for family members who may be in need of some new pieces of furniture.

Senior Emma Leahy said she likes the idea of shopping at second-hand stores because she feels like she is reusing things which other people may not give a second chance.

“I feel like retro and vintage stuff is stuff people tend to want anyways, and it’s better to get it from an actual place than online because it’s kind of sketchy shopping online,” said Leahy.

Tom’s Discount in Salisbury also harbors a great deal of bargains to consider this holiday season. From craft supplies to home goods, there is an endless number of possibilities at Tom’s Discount.

“We have a wide variety of items that are priced well and blow the price points of other stores, which we think are very competitive. Anything from a lantern to a stuffed animal we offer and we think is a good value, good quality and good price for people to come in and find what they’re looking for,” said a Tom’s Discount Manager.

Tom’s has a much to offer, including tools, organization supplies, pet supplies, bed sets and children’s toys, all at low prices; tweed organization bins would make a great gift for a sibling or parent with prices starting at $4 and going only as high as $10.

“You’re always going to find a deal when you’re shopping on the discount retail end, so if you’re not going online or looking for a deal then you’ll find a better value at a store like this. Although it may be a dollar difference, it will add up, and for a high school student that could be money for going out to eat or something like that,” said the Manager of Tom’s Discount.