Middle school students rush to their lockers in between classes.

Mongeau’s Mojo

An inside look on the middle school vice principal

A sweet smile, a positive attitude, and a great outlook on Triton are only a few of the characteristics of Mrs. Heidi Mongeau, Triton Middle School’s new assistant principal.

As Mrs. Mongeau begins her work as a new assistant principal, she elaborated on her history, her enthusiasm, and her service in the community.

To some, she is a familiar face, as is the case with current Middle School Principal, Mr. Alan MacRae. MacRae said they had a good Principal-Vice Principal relationship at Georgetown Middle School when they both worked there many years ago. However, Mongeau said she decided to come to Triton since her own daughter is now attending the school where she worked.

“I came here because I was working in Georgetown, and my daughter was coming up to the middle school, and I was the assistant principal there. So, I thought it might be best to protect her because, you know, you probably wouldn’t want your mom to be your assistant principal.”

Mongeau has positive things to say about her new job. She feels welcomed and enjoys the community of students and teachers.

“I just feel that the people here at Triton are very genuine and caring people,” she said, “I feel that not only from the staff, but from the students, too.”

When asked what she can offer Triton Middle School, she said, “I bring a love and enthusiasm to work with an awesome leadership team that will help shape our middle school to be the best that it can be.  That includes best practices in teaching and learning as well as raising the bar of modeling our philosophy of Respect, Integrity, and Excellence for All.”

Triton Voice found it important to ask others staff who are or have been in the same position that Mrs. Mongeau is in now.

“The most important thing to remember when new is to really try to get to know the staff, the culture, the student population,” guidance counselor Mrs. Elizabeth Finn said. Finn was formerly the vice principal of Triton Middle School. “I loved working with students, parents, teaching teams, and other administrators across the district,” she said. The toughest thing about being a middle school vice principal was complex disciplinary situations, but Finn always applied her counseling backgrounds to her position, she said.

“She’s really good,” high school vice principal Mr. Scott Brennan said of Mongeau. “My only advice is get to know your kids. Get to know who they are.”

Scott said there’s not a lot of difference between being a middle school or high school vice principal, except in discipline.

“I believe in restorative justice, discipline and trust,” Brennan adds. “Obviously disciplining younger kids is a little different, but most kids are the same.”

Triton Voice • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Triton Voice Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *