Student Athlete Drug Testing

Who's Getting Cut?

March 28, 2019

The organization funding our 2020 athlete drug tests

Courtesy of https://dare.org/

With a click onto the Triton Voice, articles with names like Juul Nation “…show Triton in the worst light possible” according to Coach Mac. To fix this reputation, Triton Administration has made the decision to drug test all student athletes. The school will receive funding from D.A.R.E America, an organization that promotes good decision making for high school students.

The tests will begin before the start of fall sports in 2020. Each student will be asked to provide a urine sample in order to participate. Chemical substances like Nicotine, alcohol, MDMA, LSD, Marijuana, and Methadone will be visible through this testing form. For the full list, see Sean McInnis in the Athletic Department.

Like the NCAA, the school’s goal is to “…protect student-athletes that play by the rules by playing clean.” In order to enforce the seriousness of this matter, CVS pharmacy will be sending a representative to speak during the first advisory in September.

I think it’s a smart idea but we honestly will lose our entire football team

— Aidan Gay-Killeen

. As an avid athlete, Gay-Killeen fears for our school’s athletics in 2020.

“Our students will be taken off the team effective immediately. As of the consequences, students will be asked to complete 15 hours of a drug addiction program run by D.A.R.E. After returning to school, they must speak in front of their teammates, explaining why their decision to choose drugs over sports was wrong,” says McInnis.

“I’m glad that our senior class will be graduating before this rule goes into play,” says Grace Poster. Along with Gay-Killeen, she believes the teams of 2020 will be scarce.