How to find a college roommate

Cassie McGrath, Staff Writer

Finding a Roommate

The hardest part about senior year is trying to choose a college. The next hardest part is finding a good roommate.

Each school has a different method to the process. For example, some schools throw everyone into a pool and give them a random person. Others use a sort of match-maker quiz that connects two people based on compatibility. The other method is choosing a roommate is by meeting them before the year starts and requesting to live with them to your college.

Senior Liv Raffaelle who is attending the University of New Hampshire says, “I met her (roommate) through online and then we met each other in person on accepted students day. And then we couldn’t decide which building to live in because they were so different. We decided to agree to disagree and choose other roommates. Before I was talking to her, I was talking to another girl too online that I thought was weird at first, but when we met in person we were so much alike! It ended up working out really well.”

Others have chosen to live with someone that they already know. Senior John Falasca, who is attending the University of Maine, is rooming with his best friend from Triton, Bryan Wideberg. When asked how they came to the decision he said, “I’m not really good at making new friends, and I thought it would be easier to meet people if I already had a friend there.”

Kate Morrison met her roommate on a on a tour of the UMaine campus and they hit it off immediately. After spending a lot of the day together, they agreed if they ever went to the same school, that they would room together. The girls met up again at a tour at Plymouth State, where Morrison decided to attend, and recognized each other right away. They began talking and decided that it was definitely meant to be.  

Usually, when you are accepted to a school, there is an accepted student Facebook page. When you join this page, you post a short paragraph about yourself and your interests and a few pictures. This way, you can choose someone before orientation.

Unfortunately, many people have not been so lucky. Senior Jess Ouellette says, “I feel like I’ve been on everyone’s facebook and friended a few people, but I haven’t clicked with anyone. I think I’m gonna let the system pick. I know that it’s completely random but I feel like a lot of people find roommates that way.”