Filed under Christmas

Is Black Friday Worth The Hassle?

Deals on Black Friday are all over the newspapers!

Luciano photo

Maybe waking up at 3am and waiting in the cold to save a few dollars is your thing, but Cyber Monday and other deals leading up to Christmas might be a better option.

After a big Thanksgiving dinner, sleep is much needed. Unfortunately, Black Friday happens to be the day after the big meal and in order to score those great deals, one has to be up pretty early. The problem is: are those savings really worth it? Sure there’s some savings to be had on black Friday, but what happens when stores still have stuff left to sell after? (It won’t be going back to retail price, that’s for sure) On top of the savings that most stores will still have available after Black Friday, Cyber Monday is easier than ever thanks to big online retailers like eBay and Amazon.

Black Friday can be a time to snag a deal on a Christmas present and many rely on it, but it is also a time that people might get themselves something nice at a discounted price.

Which do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Ethan Lent, a junior at Triton and a Christmas birthday, said that he’ll get electronics for himself this black Friday because it is a good way to save money and get deals. He said he prefers Black Friday over Cyber Monday.

“You have access to the stuff right after you buy it and don’t have to wait for shipping,” said Lent. Although he takes part in the major sales weekend, he said he does not think they are worth the hassle, but they are something to do right after Thanksgiving.

Retailers are starting their sales earlier every year it appears. Best Buy is opening their door for the in store only deals on Thanksgiving at 5pm this year. Many other companies are setting teaser deals to try and get customers to shop all month long instead of just on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

“Black Friday is too cluttered””

— Jonah Burd

,

“I prefer Cyber Monday because there is less people than Black Friday. Black Friday is too cluttered” said Jonah Burd, a junior at Triton. He said that the hectic weekend is worth it if one is up to it. He recommends going with other people to make it more fun and does not rely on the sales for his Christmas shopping.

These days are hectic, crazy and everyone has heard about the horror stories of mobs trampling over people just to save $100 on a television, but as long as you go just for the experience and don’t rely on the sales, they can be a good time.

Kailey Abbot-Bishop is freshman at Triton and it just so happens that her birthday is on Black Friday this year. She said that she shops on Black Friday because it’s fun and it’s always around her birthday. She said that Black Friday and Cyber Monday are worth it because they are fun and why not save some money.

“Have fun, stay safe, don’t get run over by a crazy grandmother with a shopping cart,” said Abbot-Bishop.

About the Writer
Joe Luciano, Staff writer

My name is Joe Luciano. I am 16 years old and a junior at Triton High School. I'm from Rowley and in the newspaper, I like to cover any story relating...