FOCUS on STEM

New opportunities for students interested in STEM fields through new internship at BAE Systems

Mitchell Wolpert

Solar Farm similar to those built by BAE Systems. (Wolpert Photo)

Mitchell Wolpert, Staff Writer

BAE Systems of Nashua, New Hampshire is offering Triton students and students from nearby schools an amazing opportunity to get hands on instruction in the STEM field of their choice.

According to an article from The Muse, “BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions.” Some of the products the company produces are flight controls, electronic night vision systems, secure communications technology, and energy efficient solutions including solar farms.

The company’s program, which is called FOCUS (Fostering Opportunities and Careers Utilizing STEM) will provide enriching activities in STEM fields for interested students. The goal for the program is to promote students’ interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

While in the FOCUS program, interns will assist in providing tech support, designing prototypes, and even testing products. Through the programs students will also have multiple opportunities to get to know the BAE Systems staff while attending exclusive informational sessions with other interns.

Director of Guidance, Mrs. Ober, who sent the email acquainting students with FOCUS said although she “doesn’t have a ton of information to share,” she believes the program is a good opportunity for any student.

To apply to the FOCUS program you must be a senior in high school with a GPA of at least a 3.0. Additionally, you must be eligible to obtain a DOD Security Clearance. The requirements to obtain one of those include having a strong allegiance to America, not having a relationship with or knowing anyone who lives internationally (especially in the Middle East), and having no criminal record.

Works Consulted:

“FOCUS Participant Summer Intern (High School Class of 2018) at BAE Systems.” The Muse, www.themuse.com/jobs/baesystems/focus-participant-summer-intern-high-school-class-of-2018.