Boys Lacrosse Prepares for Upcoming Season

The new, young Triton team and their expectations for this season

Dylan Waters, Staff Writer

The boys lacrosse team is looking at this upcoming season as a “rebuilding” season, due to the fact that most of their starters graduated last year.

Last year was a successful season for the boys lacrosse team, but this year will be much different. After losing most of their senior starters, such as Liam Spillane and Colby Bucceri, the team is looking at this season as a “rebuilding” season. The team is a much younger team than last year, which they are hoping to take advantage of. Some of the new additions to the team include freshman James Tatro, juniors Jack Taylor and Jon Rolfe, and more.

Even during the off-season, the players still work and get ready for the upcoming season. “Leading up to the start of the season, twice a week, we had practice at 1v1 in Salisbury, and then practices on Sunday at Triton,” said junior John D’Eufemia. “We also had some weight room time scheduled so we could work on the physical aspect of our game. This also goes without mentioning the guys who play year round, or other sports, which will keep them in shape,” said D’Eufemia.

Even though the team lost most of their starting players that graduated, this young team will be looking to not dwell on the past and to think about this season. “We will be fine!” said assistant coach Donna Andersen. “Although there will be many challenges, I believe we will have to rely on strong leadership from the upperclassmen to fill the void.”

“The seniors will be missed a lot. With that said, it’s just going to be like any other year,” said D’Eufemia. “We are going work just as hard, if not harder than we did last year and hope for great results.”

“Losing the amount of seniors we had last year is going to affect us a lot,” said sophomore Mike Beevers. “…but with the talent we have, I think that it won’t be too much of a drop off.”

Even though this season is considered a rebuilding season, the team’s expectations are still set high. “I like to set high expectations for every season,” said Beevers. “Obviously we’re aiming to win CAL and I think we can do that.”

“The expectations for this year are simply that we will get better and build as a group.” said D’Eufemia. “The lacrosse team has always had a tight group of guys and this year will be no different.”

“I expect that a whole lot of growth will take place.” said Andersen. “We will compete, we will work hard, and we will be proud of our season.”

Even though the team shares goals for this season, each player has their individual goals. “Some personal goals of mine for the season is to get better and be a good leader for this team.” said D’Eufemia. “I’m just happy I get to continue to play the game I’ve grown up playing and come to love.”

The coaches also have goals, but most of them are for team as a whole. Coach Andersen said “…a few goals that we have are to compete each time we take the field, to learn and develop our skills throughout the season, to continue to love the game and have fun working together as a team.”