Maryland School Shooting

2 students shot

Erin Drew, Staff Writer

There have been 17 school shootings this year. On March 20th at Great Mills High School in Maryland, a 17 year old student shot 2 students. After the school shooting that took place on February 14th in Parkland, Florida which killed 17, more people have realized how big of an issue school shootings have become. Austin Wyatt Rollins was armed with a handgun, and shot a 16 year old female who he had a previously had a relationship with and another male student at 7:55 am just before classes started.

According to a CNN news article, “The Maryland School Shooter was killed by his own bullet, not the school resource officer’s, police say,” “School resource officer, Officer Gaskill , shot at Rollins but it is believed by authorities that Rollins was killed by his own bullet. Rollins, the shooter, had a “prior relationship which recently ended” with Willey and that the shooting was not a random act of violence. The handgun used in the shooting was legally owned by Rollins’ father, police said.”

In a matter of hours after the Parkland Shooting, the whole world knew. It was all over the news and the internet so it was pretty hard to miss. Not many people have been talking about the Maryland Shooting, espically students.

“I didn’t even know there was a shooting in Maryland, I don’t watch the news and no one told me,” said Junior Jessica Hood. Students from not only Triton but everywhere should be more aware of every individual school shootings not just the ones that seem the most significant.

Junior Erica Lops also didn’t know much about the shooting, saying, “I heard there was a shooting but I knew none of the details or where it even was.”

Junior Audrey Caron didn’t know much either, “I don’t watch the news a lot so I didn’t find out about this until I heard some of my friends talking about it.”

Just because there were fewer casualties doesn’t make it an event people shouldn’t know about. People all over the world, no matter their age should understand that gun violence in schools is not going to end. The topic of “school safety” is one that has now, in light of the recent events, in Parkland has become one of the biggest issues in America. So we must be aware of these events even ones as small as the Maryland incident, to be better knowledged on how these gun related crimes are an ever growing problems in schools today.

Picture Source: http://shaidysworld.com/en/2018/03/shooting-at-maryland-high-school