Piscataway High School Checks Students Bags

Your rights may be violated under certain circumstances

Alessandra Basile, Staff Writer

(Students getting their bags checked on school property) from https://northstaronline.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Bag-searches-129-900×599.jpg

A New Jersey High School claimed to have the right to search students belongings if a suspicion of drug possession is made. Are students rights taken away from them as they walk into the building? Well, it turns out they legally are allowed to go through bags if there is a legitimate reason and there’s nothing you can do to stop them.

Here at Triton Regional High School, police come into the school on any random day with canines to check student’s belongings. The canines go around and sniff lockers, cars, and students bags. There is nothing students can do to stop the police enforcement from checking your belongings since they are on school grounds. In the past, students have been caught and have been given suspensions.

Terry (TLO) was a 14- year old-freshman at Piscataway High School. She had been caught smoking on school grounds. A school administrator happened to walk in while she was smoking. This had violated the school policy, which had caused her to get in trouble. After the incident the teacher brought her to the principal who then questioned her. He then accused her of lying, which then led to him to searching her purse.

When the purse was opened up by the administrator  he found a pack of cigarettes, and rolling paper. Due to the fact that there was rolling paper, the administration suspected that is used to smoke marijuana. There was also a few ounces of marijuana which led to the finding of money, and a list of students names which implied she was selling. Due to her age, T.L.O. faced delinquency charges in Juvenile Court. Her lawyer argued that the search of her purse was a violation of the Fourth Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures.

The court ruled, however the Fourth Amendment allows any administrator to search a student’s belongings while on school property. The Juvenile Court said that under certain circumstances a search may be conducted. Specifically, under reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed, a search can be necessary to maintain the school’s policy. With this said the Court states that the fourth amendment was not violated in any way. T.L.O was found guilty and sentenced to probation for one year. T.L.O.  later took her case to the New Jersey Supreme Court, which later found that the search was unreasonable and the evidence could not be used. The state of New Jersey appealed the decision to the United States Supreme Court.

After T.L.O’s case an unreasonable search was by a male assistant principal at a middle school in Safford, Ariz. An honors student named Savana Redding, was search stripped by two female teachers, based on something a friend had said. One of her friends was found guilty of possession of over the counter drugs, and said Savana had gave them to her. She was then stripped down completely, which she described as “the most humiliating experience”.

Savana’s mother sued the school district, charging that her daughter’s Fourth Amendment rights had been violated. The Supreme Court had said the Fourth Amendment, must be reasonable at the start. The search of Savannah was based entirely on a statement of a student who was trying to deflect blame from herself.

However, there are some situations in which searching a students bag is not necessary and violates students privacy, and their freedom. But, if the student is suspected of illegal acts on school grounds then school officials should have the right to search the students belongings under real suspicion.