Student Athletes Now Required to Participate in Drug Testing for Safety of Others

Student Athletes Are Now Being Drug Tested Even Without Suspicion of Use

An official investigation led to the discovery that high school athletes in the Vernonia School District participated in illicit drug use. The school’s officials were concerned that drug use could increase the risk of sports related injuries. The school then adopted the policy to drug test student athletes, which authorizes random urinalysis drug testing. But are these testings really needed for all of the participating student athletes?
Twelve- year- old seventh grader, James Acton wanted to try out for the football team, but his parents refused to let him be drug tested because, they said, there was no evidence that he used drugs or alcohol. James was then denied participation in the school’s football program since he didn’t accept the required drug testing at the beginning of the season and on a random basis during the school year. The Acton family then sued the district for mandatory drug testing without suspicion of illegal activity. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the school district, sayingthe drug tests were needed to keep the campus and student athletes safe.
Although some people may feel that it isn’t right to perform drug tests on student athletes, there are other opinions as to that it could be helpful and safe for others. Many claim that testing shouldn’t be performed on these athletes unless there is some sort of suspicion that an athlete has used drugs or alcohol. Even though some parents of the student athletes at this school are against this action, it is also a very helpful thing to do because it makes sure that these athletes are healthy and won’t cause harm to others or develop serious injuries while playing in a game. When the school has actually evidence that a student or students have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol, then it would be a good time to perform testing and if needed, suspend certain athletes from playing.
Therefore, the Vernonia School District should definitely be allowed to practice these drug tests on their student athletes. At the beginning of every sports season, there should be a form explaining that testing will occur just to make sure every athlete is safe. These random testings are only performed to make sure that the students are at their best, and that the school’s sport programs are as safe as they can be. All students should continue to be happy, healthy, and have fun playing the sports that they love.