California Dreamin’

California+Dreamin

Owen Heffernan and Rachel Lees

Hometown girl, Carly MacDonald, has big plans for the bright lights.

Carly MacDonald, 17, is a senior at Triton High School. She’s cheer captain of the Varsity Cheer Team, part of community service club, as well as a member of FLNHS. She normally does winter and spring track, but isn’t able to participate her senior year because the cheer team qualified for nationals. She has two siblings, both of whom are younger than her, and lives at home with her parents and three dogs. In her free time, she loves to sing and has an extraordinary voice. We talked to Carly about where she is now and what her plans are for the future

How many brothers and sisters do you have?

“I have two siblings: a younger sister named Maddie, she just turned 15, and she is really into robotics and science, and a younger brother named Duncan. H e is 15 and is really into football and sports, and he is also very smart.”

What is one of your favorite memories when you and your siblings were younger?

“ When Duncan and I always used to wrestle and scare Maddie. One time, he held a bagel knife up to her neck, and she didn’t know it was a bagel knife, so she screamed, and now everytime we make fun of her.”

When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?

“A singer. I’ve always wanted to be a singer, because I have been singing ever since I could talk. It is my favorite form of expression.”

Who inspired you to become this? Why?

“I always used to watch Youtube videos of people singing, and them being on stage. I always thought it was just the coolest thing ever.”

“Beyonce, 100%, because she is just so talented. She doesn’t just sing, she puts on a show. She has dancers, theatrics, special effects, costumes. Everything about it makes it a whole production.”

How has your high school experience been?

“I love high school. I think it is good, but I am definitely ready to move on and get out of here, no but it has been great. I feel like there are really nice people at Triton, and I have a lot of friends here.”

Favorite Memory?

“My favorite memory is junior prom, by far, the DJ was dope.”

Least favorite memory?

“The day I found out we couldn’t go to the library without a pass.”

Most embarrassing moment in high school?

“There are numerous ones. One time I fell up the stairs. I hit my face off of the stairs, literally walking, caught my toes on the stairs, and then was bodied (slammed) and laid out in front of everybody. It was horrible.”

What was your most proud moment?

“Singing with the jazz band, by far. That was easily the coolest thing I’ve ever done. I did it last year at the spring concert. I had a solo.”

Who helped you get through the tough years of your life?

“My mom and dad. They always just reassure me about everything, and they give me the best advice about everything. They always just tell me exactly what I need to hear.”

What would you like to become being 17 and thinking heavily about your future?

“A director, and actress, and singer, and producer, and editor. All of the above”

“If I could do anything, it would be singing on stage, performing every day.”

Where do you want to go to college? To major in what? Why?

“My top school is UCLA. I doubt I’ll get in there, so then I would probably want to go to Chapman University, in Orange,California. Right after college, I am moving to California. I want to major in film production with an emphasis in directing.”

If you go to your ‘dream’ school, how will you deal with being so far away?

“ Facetime my parents, my dogs, and my siblings, and cry about it. No it will be hard, but it is what I have to do. That’s where I have to be. If I want to have the best film education, that is just where I have to go.”

What will you miss the most?

“Winter, even though that is what I want to get away from.”

If that career falls through, then what would you do?

“I would probably just write, I’m going to minor in screenwriting, but I could also change that to creative writing, and I would write, short stories, or books. I kind of want to write for a magazine, possibly be a journalist.”