The Man and his Mission

Shackleton in the spotlight

Savannah Nolan, Staff Writer

Fresh outta high school, and ready to take on the world.  

Who is this person? None other than, Triton alumnus, Francis Shackleton.

“I️ would describe Francis as the nicest guy I️ know. He’s willing to do anything for anyone and go out of his way to make others happy. He’s funny, sweet, and very outgoing, he’s the best,” said senior Sofie DeSimone.

Shackleton, spread his kindness around the halls of Triton High, but he is now spreading it around the country.

“I’m now currently serving with NET Ministries. It’s a 9 month Catholic mission trip that involves traveling the country with about 10 other people around my age from all over the country.  NET stands for National Evangelization Team and we spread the good news of Jesus Christ to young kids in middle school up to seniors in high school. My team is Team 5, the Cali Regional Team,” Said Shackleton.

As a part of being in this program, Shackleton’s tasks include putting on youth retreats throughout California, Washington State, and Las Vegas, Nevada. From traveling from state to state, Shackleton explains that he has learned a lot from this experience.

“ Overall, my experience has been fantastic. I’ve learned a lot about my faith, life, being a man, and the importance of serving others without anything in return. And also to get comfortable with sacrificing my time with my family, my daily comforts, and time for this ministry,” Said Shackleton.

Many people aren’t as a bold as Shackleton. To sacrifice 9 months of their time to give back to the community, he sets a good example for Triton students.

“I️ think that the work he’s doing is very inspiring. I️t seems like he is making a change in the world and doing something he loves which is awesome,” Said DeSimone.

Shackleton has inspired many Triton students with his work. One however is actually hoping to follow in his footsteps. That student is his sister, Maria Shackleton.

“I have never been more proud of my brother for doing this, I know that he will only benefit from this experience emotionally mentally and spiritually. And 100% yes I will be doing the same thing in the future not ministry, but something like this is something I would absolutely love to do,”  Said Sister Shackleton.

However, even with all this incredible work Shackleton has been doing, he explains that as kid he would never have expected to be at the point in his life he is at now.

“Heck no.  I really could never picture me doing something like this. I knew I’d do something great one day, but this is the start to something great. I’ve always wanted to help people, but I never knew it would ultimately lead to god or to the point where I leave everything behind for 9 months,” said Shackleton.

Since Shackleton was unsure about his path, and never even imagined himself doing this, he explains that his father was actually the one who discovered the program.

“My Father told me about NET. He was explaining to me how it’d be so good for me and it’d help me become a better and more faithful man and learn to spread my faith and love to others. I️ applied, went to my interview, got accepted and now here I️ am. I️ never expected this but I️ took a chance to try something new, something different, and I give thanks to my Dad and God for showing me this opportunity,” said Shackleton.

In addition to support from his father, Shackleton also receives support from his  sister, and the rest of his family.

“Surprisingly, it hasn’t been hard for my family as most people may think, having Francis away for so long because we know that Francis is safe, and he’s in good hands. Also he is most importantly the happiest we’ve ever seen him. We know that he will be learning a lot and that God and his faith will guide him. For me personally I have really missed him, but I’m more happy for him than anything,” Said Sister Shackleton.

Getting to this point in his life took a lot for Shackleton. In addition to help from his dad to discover NET, Shackleton also had to conquer a major obstacle, high school.

“Those four years were hard but amazing and life changing. I️ learned so much and met so many fantastic teachers, friends and coaches. When I️ got that Diploma I️t hit me hard. I️ was like wow, I️ really made I️t. Those late night homework and project assignments, the hard work and dedication to sports mixed with school, the drama, the longing and dragging days of school, ugh I️t was tough but I️ got passed I️t and I️t was so worth I️t! That moment when you toss your cap in the air is never forgotten. Easily my biggest accomplishment so far,”  said Shackleton.

When asked to describe himself in one word, Shackleton replied with the word “Loving”, and then explained  his mission behind it.

“I️ just want everybody to feel the love. Who doesn’t like feeling loved? I’m inspired by Christ to love, because he wants everybody to love so that’s why I️ do I️t. I️ care and want the best for everybody more than anything. Nothing but good vibes, energy and positivity towards people, sure I mess up, I’m human, but I️ strive to love the best I️ can each and every day,” said Shackleton.

Setting an example for the world around him, Shackleton explains that he is unsure of his future after NET.

“Honestly I️ have no clue, I’m really trying to let God decide, because when you place your trust in him and let him guide you, you’re going to be happy, whether it’s being a teacher or a youth Minister or a police officer or even a priest someday, I know if I️ follow the man up above I’m set, so I️ leave I️t all up to him. Right now I’m focused on going to college after my year with NET,” said Shackleton