A Life Built Off Sports

A girl who grew up in the sports world for her whole life, and loves every part of it.

Maia Perry, Staff Writer

A team all star for both softball and field hockey, who does not go a season without playing a sport here Triton, Bridget Sheehan is a junior who has a passion for playing softball, field hockey, and basketball.

Sheehan grew up with no siblings and only boy cousins until last year, when her uncle had a baby girl. Her mom and dad were both really into sports and signed her up for sports as soon as she was able to play.

“Growing up with all boys in my family really toughened me up,” says Sheehan. “My next door neighbors growing up were three boys that were all older than me. They were like brothers to me. They would always come over and show me no mercy in basketball, football, or whatever else they were doing.”

Sheehan says she owes a lot of her interest and extreme love for sports to her three neighbors.

“I have been playing both basketball and softball for as long as I can remember. I started showing my interest in field hockey when I was in 7th grade,” says Sheehan.

When Sheehan started her high school career, she made varsity for all three sports that she plays, even as a freshman.

For field hockey, Sheehan is a goalie for the varsity team. This past season, Sheehan got 1st team all star, with a 94 save percentage as a goalie, and was awarded the coaches award.

In softball, Sheehan plays shortstop. As a freshman, Sheehan got 2nd team all star, and as a sophomore, she got 1st team all star, and a coaches award.

Former softball team mate to Sheehan, senior Tina Gordon, says how fun it was to be on a team with Sheehan.

“She’s a really good player,” says Gordon. “Not only is she an amazing shortstop, but she is an amazing teammate. She is always positive about everything and knows exactly what to do to pick people up when they are feeling down about their playing skills.”

Sheehan’s field hockey coach, Donna Anderson, has nothing negative to say about Bridget as a person, and as a player.

“Bridget is very focused,” says Anderson. “She got the coaches award this year for stepping into the season and coming prepared to work hard. She not only worked hard for herself or her team, but she took an underclassman who wanted to be goalie for field hockey, and taught her exactly how to play the game.”

Although Sheehan still has another year of high school, she knows that although she loves sports, she does not wish to pursue playing competitively in college.

“I will definitely play club of inter murals, but I really want to focus on school after high school,” says Sheehan. “But this is not going to stop me from playing these sports no matter what.”

Being inspired by her entire family is what motivates Sheehan to really continue playing. Her mom, dad, uncles, grandparents, friends, and anyone who has show her incredible amounts of support are the people she thanks for her sporting career.

A math teacher here and head coach of the football team, Patrick Sheehan, is also a huge part of Sheehan’s life. He is her uncle, and he seems to always inspire her to never stop.

“She’s a wonderful teammate and is completely selfless,” says (Patrick) Sheehan.

So as a great sports player, and a great person at heart, Bridget Sheehan plays to make people happy.

“I play to make everyone proud, I guess,” says Sheehan. I don’t want to be another face that fades in the yearbook. I want people to remember me as someone who enjoyed and cherished every second I spent on the court or on the field.”