Junior year, buckle down!

Audrey Caron

Staff Writer

Junior year, buckle down!

Triton students give tips to having a successful junior year

Junior year is the most important year of high school. It’s the year students really need to buckle down and improve in their work. Plus colleges will be looking at it! Triton students recently gave advice to the underclassmen about being organized and getting involved to benefit them in the long run.

A big part of improving in school is being organized with your binders and such, and planning ahead with your work.

“When there’s a quiz or a test coming you should really put a little time in every night to study so you’ll be prepared for the material,” says Erica Lops. “On top of that I feel like when trying to improve in school, it’s very helpful to stay organized with your school work.”

With the stress of raising your GPA just those few points, be careful when loading your schedule with advanced classes.

“If I could give advice to a junior or to be junior it would be not to load up your schedule too much because even though colleges look at it, you still need to have good grades. So if you’re taking hard classes and getting mediocre grades, it’s better to take a little bit of an easier class,” says Rachel Lees.

As much as it’s important to make sure you aren’t overloading with difficult classes, it could also help you in the long run if you do your work and do well in the class.

“Junior year you should take as many honors and AP classes as you can to raise your GPA one last time. But if you’re going to take advanced classes you really need to focus, study and stay organized to try to do well in them,” says Bella Kreticos.

While getting good grades is a huge part of having a successful year, getting involved in extracurricular activities such as sports and clubs is also important.

“A lot of colleges are going to look at your transcript and all the things you’ve done, the activities, extracurriculars. So just be involved in as much as you can, try to stay focused and be organized which is definitely a big part of it too,” says Stephen Baiardi.

From the start of high school as a freshman, it’s important to focus on your school work, be organized and involved in extracurriculars. At the beginning of high school it seems like there’s more time in the future to improve and do these things, but at the end of the day how you do in all four years matters and will impact you in the long run.